The Sewing Place

Dinner dance dress

Samantha

Re: Dinner dance dress
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 09:36:30 AM »
It's a very popular make and this blogger made a particularly neat version.

Love the fabric she's used!  I may have to get some more interesting fabric to make a dress rather than using something in my stash  :ninja: - shame!!

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 10:51:15 AM »
I made V8470 to wear to a 90th birthday party in October last year.  It  looks great made up but it is a pig to get the front neck right.

There is a small modesty insert inside the front neckline which goes right across the front.  I found it was very difficult to understand how it fitted in and when I did get it right it was pulling tight.  In the end I gave up on it, but the vee neck is very low so I pinned a brooch onto the dress.

If I were to make it again I would cut the front neck a bit higher.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Samantha

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 12:36:18 PM »
I made V8470 to wear to a 90th birthday party in October last year.  It  looks great made up but it is a pig to get the front neck right.

There is a small modesty insert inside the front neckline which goes right across the front.  I found it was very difficult to understand how it fitted in and when I did get it right it was pulling tight.  In the end I gave up on it, but the vee neck is very low so I pinned a brooch onto the dress.

If I were to make it again I would cut the front neck a bit higher.

Thanks Brenda - the dress looks lovely on you. Thanks for the info on the neck line - very useful to know.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 15:00:05 PM »
I made this dress https://butterick.mccall.com/b6094 in November to go to a dance and was delighted with it. I can thoroughly recommend it.  I will see if I have a photo.
PS - and Butterick are half price at the mo! :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 15:02:40 PM by Fabric Lover »
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Samantha

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 16:49:34 PM »
I made this dress https://butterick.mccall.com/b6094 in November to go to a dance and was delighted with it. I can thoroughly recommend it.  I will see if I have a photo.

Ooh I've seen that pattern before and admired it! Yes please I would love to see a photo of a real make of it.

HVM

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 17:57:00 PM »
The two Butterick patterns people have mentioned would be lovely in taffeta as they'd make great use of its "sticky outy" properties. (As you can see my command of the English language needs as much work on it as my stash!) The Vogue one is too drapey for taffeta in my humble opinion. Whatever you do I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Fabric Lover

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 18:33:41 PM »
Had trouble finding these - so frustrating when you know you have them somewhere.
I love this dress, I made it in georgette for the skirt which was lined, and a sort of satin-backed dupion for the bodice.  The fold back lapel pieces at the back were made with the satin as a contrast.  I wore a full petticoat (actually bought that on the Internet due to lack of time!  :devil:) but it made the skirt "swish" when I danced. Lots of compliments! :)
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Samantha

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 19:17:25 PM »
Anne - lovely! The spotty fabric is fab

Good point HMV - I'm thing the butterick that Anne made in the taffeta and have the fold back in a lace? Or make the bodice in lace lined with taffeta and then the fold back would show the taffeta. Lots to think about thank you all for your help and suggestions.

CarolC

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 11:07:53 AM »
As someone else has said, dinner dance usually means long and when I was wee the dinner part also mean covered shoulders, but you could do that with a wrap. But i doubt any of that matters any more, really. What about Vogue 1534? A halter bodice and simple long full skirt. Use the taffeta for the skirt and something sparkly for the bodice?

https://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v1534

UttaRetch

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 11:26:20 AM »
That's a very glamourous pattern, but Samantha said on the first page.

Not strapless ... Not halter neck as I don't think that's very flattering on me.

Samantha

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 16:29:32 PM »
Well i don't think the halter neck top would work on me but seeing the two fabrics has given me ideas! I love the blingy bodice and I'm sure I have a dress pattern that I could make up like that one.