Lowena

Re: Wedding favours
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 10:35:54 AM »
I absolutely love sugared almonds, but can't see any point in wedding favours
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Fiona M

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2017, 11:37:32 AM »
You must have very strong teeth.  Or dentures.
The 'point' is a) a memento, b) 'thank you for sharing our day', c) a decoration for the place setting at the table and d) a tradition symbolic of good wishes for the happy couple, represented by the 5 sugared almonds - health, wealth, happiness, fertility and longevity.

Lowena

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 11:53:31 AM »
That's very interesting. I have never attended a wedding where there were "favours" and assumed it was another American "tradition" we had adopted in some circles.
If you suck s.a. a bit, they give a satisfying crunch  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Fiona M

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2017, 12:44:20 PM »
I suspect it is a Mediterranean tradition originally - places where almonds grow in abundance.  In Italy they are known as 'Confetti', which I think translates as 'little sweets', but obviously that means something quite different to us.
I've been given favours at pretty much every wedding I've attended in the past 30 years, so it's definitely not a new thing, and I have always been aware of the associated symbolism.
Off on a tangent, sugared almonds always remind me of Xmas, since that's the only time they appeared in our house, but even as a child I couldn't crunch them.  I certainly wouldn't attempt it with my current (precarious) state of dental health!

UttaRetch

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2017, 13:57:22 PM »
The almond is my least favourite nut being both hard and tasteless.  :( 

DementedFairy

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 14:43:09 PM »
I love almonds if roasted and salted, or ground and made into yummies...oooh I could do some more almond shortbread now you mention it!
C'est moi!

shadykittykat

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2017, 14:50:36 PM »
*wanders in.....I like sugared Almonds (and almonds in general) ......*wanders back off
Kate
Running, sewing, eating

Vegegrow

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2017, 15:46:13 PM »
Smoked almonds are the best .... yum.... I've got some in the larder.... they are hidden .... I'm the only one who knows they are there and if they go missing I'll know I've eaten them.... I don't eat sweet stuff they are MY treat
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

maliw

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 15:55:43 PM »
When DS got married DDIL made the favours/place names - out of bird food. DS had bought her a big bag of bird food (big mistake) for her birthday as an interim present. Although she loved feeding the birds she didn't see the funny side. However at the wedding, there on the table were heartshaped favours with a persons name on a paper luggage label tied with coarse brown string. She had made birdfood 'cakes. All favours were taken home and fed to the birds so were nonfattening to us overfed humans at the reception.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Samantha

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 10:37:03 AM »
When DS got married DDIL made the favours/place names - out of bird food. DS had bought her a big bag of bird food (big mistake) for her birthday as an interim present. Although she loved feeding the birds she didn't see the funny side. However at the wedding, there on the table were heartshaped favours with a persons name on a paper luggage label tied with coarse brown string. She had made birdfood 'cakes. All favours were taken home and fed to the birds so were nonfattening to us overfed humans at the reception.

That's a lovely idea. One of my cousins who got married a couple of years ago had little packets of wild flower seeds printed with their names etc as favours.

Holly Berry

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 14:29:37 PM »
The last time I made some I was going to make little pouches, but in the end opted for the little boxes. I've just found some boxes I had left over. The real ones had a bit more finesse, I've just tied this one together to give you an idea.

I have to say I was a bit disheartened at the end of the meal that there were so many left on the table. Perhaps people didn't like sugared almonds!
Procrastination get behind me

Mama likes to make

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 14:34:59 PM »
Not a fan of the sugared almonds. My aunt is married to an Italian and lives there and every birth, christening, communion, confirmation and wedding etc came with an ornament of some kind with sugared almonds in the. We were always so disappointed as kids when we broke into what looked like a bag of sweets to find them!

At our wedding we had little candy canes at each place setting and a little box of fun christmas trivia questions at each table.
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

Sakar

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2017, 14:39:53 PM »
Sorry for the -maybe silly- question.... :(

... but what is "a favour"??

I married just a year ago, but I couldn't find any translation, that would make sense in this context  :|

Mama likes to make

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 14:47:40 PM »
It's a small gift from the bride and groom left at each place setting for the guest to take home. Here in Ireland anyway they are often a small box of chocolates or sweets, or they can be something like a candle with the names of the bride and groom and the date on them for example.
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

Sakar

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2017, 14:53:28 PM »
ahh!!!!  0_0

Thank you very much for this answer!!  <3

Now I know, what you mean, and yes, that's something, which is common on modern weddings here too.

:*