The Sewing Place

Completely new and a novice

Emma2109

Completely new and a novice
« on: April 22, 2017, 19:44:03 PM »
Hi

I am completely new to sewing forums and to sewing!!!....I took needlework as an O Level at school (an indication of my age)...I have wanted a sewing machine for years and finally got one for a christmas present four months ago...I absolutely love it...I started with square cushions and have made skirts, roman blinds, dresses, vintage aprons and an Evel Knievel costume (don't ask)...I usually work full time in a very stressful job, however, I have been off work on sick leave for 5 months (complications from an operation)and have used sewing as my therapy....it relaxes me and gives me a purpose and focus.....

Anyway, enough about me...how did you all get into sewing...

Love and hugs. Xxx

maliw

Re: Completely new and a novice
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 20:31:29 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum, you will soon feel at home here. If you need any help or advice just ask - we don't bite. I too found sewing therapeutic while going through a very stressful time at work, that is when I took up patchwork and quilting. I've been sewing since about the age of eleven/twelve although my mum taught me a bit on her treadle machine a few years earlier (showing my age too) ;)
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

shadykittykat

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 20:44:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum Emma  :)

I didn't really have sewing lessons at school, I just decided one day I fancied sewing so I did. Not very well or very quickly, but I enjoy it!
Kate
Running, sewing, eating

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 22:35:21 PM »
Welcome Emma.  I sewed from the age of 5 up until my mid thirties.  Then after a 20 year break doing very little I got back into sewing whilst off work for 5 months after complications with an operation (sound familiar).  I had always done dressmaking previously but am now finding my feet with p&q which is quite addictive.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 04:55:12 AM »
Welcome from me too  :toast:
I didn't start sewing until 2012 ( had never even used a machine ) I'd played about with EPP and decided I wanted / needed to get into P&Q properly. That's all I do... I'm in awe of anyone who can make clothes  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 05:20:56 AM »
Hi Emma

and have used sewing as my therapy....it relaxes me and gives me a purpose and focus.....

then you will not be surprised at how many people have had the same experience!

For myself, after a sudden (quite serious) illness, which coincided with the death of my (senile) father, and a year long battle to get some of my (long dead) mothers chattels from his estate off the witch of a woman he later married, I realised I was not coping at all  and found that sewing (of a sort, P&Q, The Dark Side...Can we tempt you ???  :devil:) gave me some sanity!  .... and has done ever since!

I'm lucky enough to work part time and have a generally very understanding hubby (Mr IM), so I do have the time to spend on my hobby.

Welcome...we are a friendly bunch...Enjoy!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 10:19:09 AM »
Hello Emma and welcome to the forum.

I have been sewing on and off (currently off  0_0 ) for nearly 30 years.  I think my interest must have been sparked by sewing at school - you will hear many horror stories from others about this - and I took it up again in my 30's.  I only sew for me and only clothing.

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 10:31:19 AM »
Hello there.. I've been sewing for well over 50 years, I learned on my Grandmother's treadle machine of which I only have the treadle part in the garden, I think the machine itself was abandoned in some house move.

crooknees

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 16:10:31 PM »
Welcome to TSP Emma.
I hated sewing at school, I only started to sew after I left in 1959. Dad bought me a hand crank machine from a local market and 4 large pieces of cotton fabric. He looked at that fabric hopefully each day when he came home from work. Eventually, I could hold out no longer. The guilt drove me to make up a glazed cotton with dark green floral stripes and I have never looked back. He was a very wise and patient man my Dad. :*

Lantana

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 19:39:20 PM »
Hello Emma and welcome.  You've made a good choice of forum  :)

It sounds as if you are already very much at home in front of your sewing machine!

I sewed a few things especially for my boys when they were little as in those days it really was financially worth while and also made myself a few simple garments. I'm not really into fashion and hate having to get dressed up so never persued garment making.

When I was very young I made clothes for my dolls and my dear dad helped me with those. I remember him showing me how to do 'lazy daisy' stitch as he'd been shown at school in the 20's. Mum taught me to knit and she was very good at embroidery but never showed me. She used to sit outside in the playpen on sunny days surrounded by her threads where my sister and I couldn't interfer!

Anyway I've always liked crafts and making things and I know exactly what you and others mean about it getting you through. I can vividly remember opening a big bag of wool I'd ordered and feeling happy for the first time after going through a still birth.

Nowadays I dabble in a lot of different fabric and thread related things (never getting good at any of them  0_0 ) but patchwork and quilting is the main one. Discussions and projects for this are to be found in 'the dark side' on this forum.

It's great to be amongst such a creative, talented and helpful group of people and I really enjoy seeing what others have made whether it's garments or quilts. Looking forward to seeing your creations as well. :)

How good that you've turned you convalesence to such good purpose!  <3

:vintage:

Emma2109

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 21:11:32 PM »
What a fabulous welcome, thank you so much. I look forward to getting to know you all and seeing your marvellous creations xxx

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 18:44:09 PM »
Hi Emma, Pull up a chair and your favourite beverage :drink: :toast: and enjoy a trawl through the threads!

I started sewing after watching my mum who was a tailor and then I did  the ghastly school O level which put me off sewing for many years .Eventually came back after I had my little girl an wound up starting a business making clothes for kids from 3 - 12yrs and wound up selling into local boutique baby shops as well as direct to customers. Now I'm more into dance wear, but I do occasionally make for me.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Surest1tch

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 21:16:26 PM »
Hello, I'm new here too and despite having a lifetimes experience I'm actually learning a lot I didn't know before thanks to these lovely people.

KayK

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 16:30:53 PM »
Welcome too! :drink:
I had some sewing lessons at school (late 60's ) and hated it - But my Nan was a milliner and tailor and showed me all sorts of tricks and tips - my mum was hopeless!  I purchased my first sewing machine when i first started work (a Singer 507 I think) and really got into dressmaking when, as one of the members pointed out, it was financially worth while!  Fabric and patterns were really quite cheap in the 70's! (having had to pay £14 for a pattern the other day made me sweat!)

So, over the years the dressmaking crept out and soft furnishings crept it, the modern sewing machine fell slightly out of favour and was bitten by the vintage bug.  Then free motion quilting took a hold, and though  I am real novice,  I love it!

you'll pick up load of help here, its great!!

(A bit of quilting done on a bit of my daughter's bridesmaids fabric - as a trial!)
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Lantana

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 17:45:13 PM »
Oh wow Kayk That is soooooooo impressive! Love it! You are very talented indeed!

Lanty  :vintage: