The Sewing Place

How to bury your quilting threads using the Laso Method ....

Iminei

How to bury your quilting threads using the Laso Method ....
« on: April 24, 2017, 20:41:59 PM »
This was a tip given to me by (I think) Puddingchops from the old TSF, to whom I am truly grateful whenever I quilt...

https://goo.gl/photos/gGQm946WUhK1eWVw9
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lilian

Re: How to bury your quilting threads using the Laso Method ....
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 20:54:07 PM »
Thanks for that Imi, It's very useful  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 10:24:14 AM »
Thank you
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 11:56:14 AM »
That's genius, thank you.  I'm about to start quilting so very timely too.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 07:15:45 AM »
Thanks Ladies,

I have been quilting, quilting, quilting away the last couple of days with many many uses of the lasoo method and have actively been trying not to fall into a coma and really notice what I am doing and what is happening so I have a couple of extra tips .....

Try pulling your needle and threads under only the top layer of fabric. You will be able to feel this with your fingers...
If you do travel deeper into the layers, make sure (especially in densely quilted areas) you haven't come through the back of the quilt...you can do this by looking under the quilt (difficult in the middle of a big quilt) or by feeling with your free hand for the metal of the needle under the quilt.

When you pull your threads through, try travelling in the same direction as the line of stitches, if necessary turning the quilt to enable you to do so (as I did with the sample in the tut)
If you go off at an angle to the line of stitching you may find the last stitch pulling in that direction!

You can travel as far under the layers as you want,  but if your threads are short, make sure you have enough thread coming out of the layers to be able to give it a good hard tug.

I found when using method 1, the crossed threads method, that the experience was a lovely smooth one (only one knot to pull through remember!) but found the needle kept coming un-threaded and as I am awful at threading needles opt much more for method 2, the knotted loop.

With method 2, you will be taking 2 knots through the fabric at the same time and as you use your loop it will accrue fluff from the wadding and start to drag more ... periodically cut the knot and any debris off and retie your loop....
you can do this until the loop is down to an inch in diameter and then its time for a new one!

Anyhoo, Im off to work and then back to the last of the quilting.
I hope to get that finished today and maybe even start on the binding...Woo Hoo!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again