The Sewing Place

Vogue 1312 for a Beginner?

Lyn-J

Re: Vogue 1312 for a Beginner?
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2017, 17:43:28 PM »
ok! Ready to go!
Black printed viscose for the skirt. The sleeves and bodice in plain black viscose. I'm using polycotton for the interfacing. I've starched the fabric as it is slippery slidey, going off grain all over the place. I won't put a zip in unless absolutely necessary.
001 by Lyn-J, on Flickr
I labelled where the pieces go as they are unusual shapes.
002 by Lyn-J, on Flickr
Here's an inside out version of one I made sometime ago (wince) It's not my best work.
003 by Lyn-J, on Flickr

If you haven't already it may be beneficial to read the information an the pattern, "Fabric Cutting Layouts", "Sewing Information" and "Glossary". Nobody ever does but there's a wealth of knowledge there.

TIP: Make the seams in the bodice lining the try it on for size. This pattern is notorious for needing adjustment. It runs large and it's quite possible it will need taking in.

ETA: re cutting out front and back. I'm going to fold my fabric in half, selvedge to selvedge, then in half again, fold to selvedges. Then I will cut my pieces (lining and garment) out an a double fold at the same time. (Lazy and not approved by Vogue :) )
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 17:55:39 PM by Lyn-J »

talamasca

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2017, 10:43:32 AM »
Ooo yay, really glad to see you're starting yours too.  Love the fabric and love the fabric of your previous one too.  I've gone plain light grey as wanted something for work this time, but def going to make others in some prettier fabrics.

Thanks for the fab cutting tip of the double fold....will def do that.

I've some spare fabric so going to whip up the bodice and top part of skirt just to see how it fits, then I can amend the pattern pieces before starting.  Hoping to do this Sat aft and then start Sunday on the dress.

I've read everything a few times (takes a while to sink in! LOL).  I find the instructions a bit odd, as they're quite detailed on putting in the zip, but when it comes to sewing lining to bodice it's not that clear 'pin lining to bodice'!  Fortunately, after watching a few vids and reading some tutorials I found one that makes sense to me and has great pictures:

http://www.crafterhoursblog.com/2011/02/all-in-one-facings-tutorial.html

Lyn-J

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2017, 10:50:35 AM »
I haven't cut mine out yet. I didn't quit have enough of the patterned fabric and so I had to get a bit creative with the layout. By the time I'd worked out what to do , it was to late to get started.
So the plan is to cut out tonight

Lyn-J

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2017, 10:47:08 AM »
Finally getting around to doing the marking this morning

talamasca

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2017, 17:40:43 PM »
I redrafted the pattern 2 sizes smaller and made it in spare material, including top part of skirt..which def fits better than the last one I made,  but I think I should go down 1 more size as I can wear it (it's made in cotton) just by slipping it over my head, it's a little baggy under arms and across high bust and at waistline.

Lyn-J

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2017, 18:22:25 PM »
The last on I made I took the seam in a good inch (4 in all) under the arms tapering towards the waste line. This one has sleeves so I'm not going to attempt that alteration, but it does have that same bagginesses under the arms.

talamasca

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2017, 15:41:50 PM »
Gosh....it's tiring learning new stuff! Lol 

I've made a third practice top 3 sizes smaller than originally planned and it fits  :D  So this morning I re-cut the pattern pieces and then cut out my dress fabric and transferred the markings.

This aft I sewed the interfacing to bodice, sewed bodice pieces together at sides and sewed lining pieces together at sides.  I'd printed out a photo tutorial for sewing lining to bodice and I started pinning but my brain has had enough and I couldn't quite get it.....not helped cos my fabric is plain and I had to keep checking I was putting right sides together so I'm leaving it until next weekend.

Oh and I must remember to add a note to my instructions for when I need to add the pockets!

Lyn-J

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2017, 15:59:07 PM »
I'm not having happy times with mine either, because I didn't have enough fabric - took me longer to cut than to sew. I've just got to hem mine, tv job for tonight.
I know what you mean about the lining, I can talk you through it, but when you have had a rest. Its one of those things that's easy, ONCE you know how.
You know what we need  :toast: :toast: :toast:

talamasca

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2017, 16:14:04 PM »
Oh wow, hemming already! Great stuff. Thanks....trouble is I'm hopeless without pics. I got it but unpinned it to iron seams and then lost it and couldn't think lol lol.....def can't wait for wine o'clock!

Lyn-J

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2017, 16:34:11 PM »
I'm going to do a sleeveless one, light blue chambray. On a roll with the pattern  0_0. I will post pictures every step of the way. The fabric is in the wash so will post pictures every step of the way. Plus a few extra ones between step 4 & 7.

talamasca

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2017, 16:38:33 PM »
Ooo you're on with another one :D  Pics would be fab, thank you.  I've not got time to sew during the week, but I'm def going to crack on with it at the weekend and hopefully finish it.  I've been thinking about making another too......need to buy more fabric though.....tempted by one with sleeves

Lyn-J

« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2017, 18:42:22 PM »
Steps 1 - 2
I stay stitched the front and back of the bodice neckline 1/2" away from the edge. I have also stay stitched the armhole above the circle on the bodice and the lining to make it easier to keep track of where the seam allowance. (This step isn't necessary but nice to do.)
The interfacing has been tacked to the bodice.
P1020323 by Lyn-J, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 18:48:13 PM by Lyn-J »

Lyn-J

« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2017, 18:47:45 PM »
Step 3 - 4
The side seams. I'm not doing the zip so stitched the whole of the seam.
Accidentallly stitched the shoulder seams too, so had to unpick them.  :|
No picture for this step.

Lyn-J

« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2017, 18:52:13 PM »
Step 5
Stitching the bodice to the lining at front and back neckline. Partially stitching the armhole.
P1020324 by Lyn-J, on Flickr
P1020325 by Lyn-J, on Flickr
(there's an embroidery on the bodice front, feeling creative  ><

Lyn-J

« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2017, 18:58:49 PM »
Step 5a
Trim the neckline and armhole seams.
P1020326 by Lyn-J, on Flickr
Like so
P1020327 by Lyn-J, on Flickr