The Sewing Place

Vogue 1312 for a Beginner?

UttaRetch

Re: Vogue 1312 for a Beginner?
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2017, 19:57:16 PM »
I had one and struggled to lace the beast up only to find that I didn't like it.  It remained in its box for nearly a year before Fran bought it.  Unfortunately, it misbehaved but Fran said it was a good introdution to overlockers - she's a nice person.

Vegegrow

« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2017, 20:14:25 PM »
Many thanks to Lyn-J and Talamasca and all other contributors for an amazing thread  ...like ..like ..like...like ...like
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Fabric Lover

« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2017, 21:01:48 PM »
Lovely dress Lyn-J, like it very much
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

talamasca

« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2017, 10:21:44 AM »
Oh wow Lyn, I <3 <3 <3 the embroidery on the bottom panels, what a fab idea.....I could so picture something similar on mine.....pretty coloured flowers 0_0 ..........me thinks I need an embroidery machine now ;) :D

ETA: Ooops, I was so distracted by your beautiful embroidery I forgot to ask my question LOL   

I'm not sure whether I need to add the zip or not.  What does adding a zip do to the fit and is it necessary?  I can put the bodice on over my head and it fits fine, it is perhaps still a little big around the bottom part, but I can live with that this time.

ETA again: Googled at lunch and found this, which I think I can do instead of hand stitching?:

https://blog.colettehq.com/tutorials/video-how-to-clean-finish-a-lined-armhole
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 13:03:11 PM by talamasca »

Lyn-J

« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2017, 20:05:53 PM »
 <3 thanks for your kind comments everyone  <3

Steph not entirely sure I could follow the Colette method, but I think it would work.

You don't have to hand sew, you could rely on your edge stitching holding down the edge of the lining  ;)

Wondering whether this dress would work in a border print or broderie  anglaise.

ETA: Missed the zip question. I didn't need the zip to get the dress on, so that was the reason I didn't use it. It does nothing for the fit.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 20:17:34 PM by Lyn-J »

talamasca

« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2017, 15:04:15 PM »
Yay, really excited as I've booked tomorrow and Fri off work to specifically finish this dress and work on a couple of other projects over the bank holiday weekend.  Fingers crossed I'll get the dress finished tomorrow, barring any mishaps!

I'm not going to bother with the zip so I'll need to sew the left side up first and then I will hand stitch the armholes.  I managed to practice a bit and even though I still really dislike hand stitching, at least they're only small sections.

So looking forward to my craft  :vintage: :snip: :wool: weekend  0_0

Lyn-J

« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2017, 21:24:47 PM »
I've booked tomorrow and Fri off work to specifically finish this dress
Now that's serious sewing!

talamasca

« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2017, 13:07:00 PM »
I don't believe what I've done....I was sure I'd pinned everything correctly, but no. I've sewn bodice and skirt together wrong way......and I've not just sewn them.....I've finished them and overedged too  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

talamasca

« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2017, 13:20:27 PM »
First pic bodice wrong, skirt right

Second pic bodice right, skirt wrong

At least pockets are in correct position!

Goodness  :'(  so I'm going to have to unpick overedge and both sewn lines and re-pin etc etc....I'd best get cracking....gonna need a huge

Acorn

« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2017, 13:45:23 PM »
 :(  You'll have earned that 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

talamasca

« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2017, 14:08:51 PM »
Yeah I was a bit excited to finish! Unfortunately I couldn't get the second line of stitching out...my thread matches too well and I almost tore through tje fabric with my seam ripper so I've cut it off!!!!  I'm hoping this will be ok cos only going to have 1/4" seam  :o  I'm going to use a small stitch and go over it before overedging .....hope it will be secure/strong enough

talamasca

« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2017, 16:21:22 PM »
Good grief I'm struggling.....I can't figure out how to line up the corner with the seams when adding bottom part of skirt....I know it shouldn't be this difficult but I don't know where I'm going wrong....please help  :S

talamasca

« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2017, 16:55:09 PM »
I've called it a day....so close!  I just really don't understand how to line corners up with seams whilst keeping the edges straight...I lined up as per instructions but I end up with a fold in fabric....like I've too much...may be I've stretched something along the way :S

DementedFairy

« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2017, 17:43:51 PM »
Excess in the bottom bit I'm guessing?  Did you take any length out at any stage, cos it has a knock on effect?

Anyway, easy fix.  Line up the centres of the bottom rectangles, withe the centres of each section of the top bit, ie CF, CB, and side seams.  Work from the middle to corners, and where there is excess, take it out of the bottom along the seam line.  It will all balance.  Remember  the odd tuck gather or pleat won't show when you're wearing it as it's very forgiving
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2017, 18:31:45 PM »
Yes I'm sure DF is right. However if you haven't shortened anything let us know cos it might be something else - still eminently fixable though.  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde