The Sewing Place

Going to a Mexican themed party

Ravingdoll

Going to a Mexican themed party
« on: April 25, 2017, 18:32:53 PM »
So I am going to make a top, or dress, or whatever, out of some Mexican style fabric.  In my head I'm seeing a 50s style one with lots of cacti in pots, sombreros and faces of caricature Mexican men with big moustaches.  What I'm seeing online are loads of Day of the Dead, sugar skulls and of that lady with the monobrow whose name temporarily escapes me.  I am not quite sure what bit of the party is going to be Mexican come to think about it, since my friend has told us all to bring along prosecco for cocktails.  I can't see the music being very Mexican either, and you can only play La Bamba so many times in one evening.  Maybe we'll be having a load of guacamole.  Which, oh Jeez, reminds me of the horror I had a few weeks back.  I bought a bag frozen avocado from Tesco.  It is probably the worst food I've ever tasted since accidentally having a mouthful of gone-off humous.    When I bought it I just knew it wasn't going to work, and it didn't.  Putting the case for the defence I had just had my Smeg fridge freezer delivered and having been without anything electrical for two weeks, putting food into it was my equivalent of the paper round wages burning a hole in the pocket of the delivery boy.  With no further digression, does anyone know where I can get some proper kitsch Mexican style fabric??  Will be very grateful for any assistance! 

DementedFairy

Re: Going to a Mexican themed party
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 19:08:05 PM »
Frida Kahlo!

Authentically Mexican would be the stuff you see HER wearing in pictures, which includes that crazy head dress that has  a sleeve hanging off the chin

More wearable might be something like this

Whatever you do, don't go looking like a pinata!
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 19:22:02 PM »
Lots of images here , so just pick something you can easily translate.  The main things to get right are the those famous eyebrows and the hair, including floral arrangements.

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 19:35:37 PM »
UR I think she's trying to avoid the Frida look!
C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 19:55:45 PM »
I was literally going to say Frida too!

Big circle skirt, peasant blouse tucked in, shawl round the shoulders, unibrow!

I know you're put off by it but she was an awesome woman.

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 20:06:40 PM »
I am not quite sure what bit of the party is going to be Mexican come to think about it

Building a wall
Pulling up the carpet JUST so you can shout 'underlay underlay' *ahem*
Saying as many things as you can with 'ita' on the end eg Conchita Fajita Ryvita Fanheater [actually that should be your name for the night]
Screaming 'badges?  badges?  we don' need no stinkin' badges' at everone
Taking a stuffed badger so you can scream 'badgers? badgers? etc'
Taking a quantity of bread rolls so you can scream 'batches? batches?...'

I can go on all night you know
C'est moi!

Pinkstar

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 20:35:48 PM »
Alexander Henry has a range of Mexican themed fabric a lot of it is skulls but there are odd bits that aren't.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alexander-Henry-CHARRAS-Novelty-Mexican-Cowgirl-Pin-Up-Fabric-Natural-/322106274552

Ravingdoll

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 17:55:28 PM »
You have obviously been to your fair share of themed parties in your time DF.  Which doesn't surprise me at all!  No I am definitely more a kitsch kind of woman than dressing like Frida, I spend a fortune on my eye brows, the thought of joining them up has me weeping into my wine!  But thank you for the suggestions, and Pinkstar, I've ordered some - thanks!!  Now all I've got to do is get it made otherwise it will end up being a wrap.  Got till the 13th May - loads of time.  >< :sew:

DementedFairy

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 18:19:57 PM »
You have obviously been to your fair share of themed parties in your time DF. 

Don't know what you mean!  It's just the way my brain works I'm afraid.  I used to like to make my dad 'kit' birthday presents.

His Robin Hood Kit [made when he took up archery] included a pair of green tights, a felt Robin Hood hat, a picture of my mum [she's a Marion] and an elastic band with 'Merry Men' written on it.  I can't help it...
C'est moi!

BajaSusana

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 12:12:54 PM »
 Ravingdoll,having lived in Mexico for 17 years, and travelled throughout Mexico, I am offended by your idea of what Mexican is.
Actually what you have described is some  ugly image of Mexico perpetrated by  Americans.
Frida Kahlo is an icon here. Some of her stuff is weird, some springs from physical pain.
 But she and Diego Rivera were revolutionaries, thinkers and artists.
Cacti in pots and sombreros are not kitsch, they are sully slurs. This themeis something you would find in New Mexic or Texas.
Your idea is almost as bad as wearing a fruit basket on your head a la Chiquita Banana, another American not-so-friendly caricature.
 White on white embroidery, or the colorful embroidery of Oaxaca is Mexican, gorgeous and fitting.

Would you paint your face black with big white lips minstrel style if you were invited to an African themed party?

Mexican cuisine was named one of the fine cuisines of the world by UNESCO.
I hope that there is guacamole served as well as pico de gallo, and chiles rellenos, or tacos al pastor, accompanied by fine Tequila, good Mexican beer (Corona and Pacifico are NOT good Mexican beers). How about a rich, dark mole? Or even some fine Mexican wines from the Valle de Guadalupe.

Caricatures as you have described as kitsch are not cute or funny. They serve to dehumanize .

Francesca

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 12:20:00 PM »
I think Ravingdoll is saying she doesn't want to wear that style of false-Mexican clothing like the cheap tat you get in those horrible restaurants where everything is made from cheese and tortillas.

I personally would go with a full skirt and a nice embroidered blouse.

I also just bought 3m of Frida Kahlo fabric for a sun dress. Excited as I love her.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 12:22:26 PM by Francesca »

DementedFairy

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 12:32:35 PM »
I dunno- our Dolly loves her kitsch.

It's an interesting point though- I recently raised a load of American hackles on an antique textile site, objecting to the 'mammy' images on a tablecloth.  It seemed to really divide opinions, with most Brit/European people being outraged, and the Yanks insisting it was infinitely collectable, beautiful, and 'celebratory'. 
Mexico is very distant to us, not just physically, and doesn't hold the immediate emotional impact that the cultural appropriation of the Native American image has, so I offer that as a reason why we may none of us, have considered the opportunity for insult.
Day of The Dead imagery has become very popular recently, and Frida of course, is immediately recognisable.

Thanks for bringing it up, we all need educating at times.
C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 12:36:15 PM »
Yes the large sea between us has definitely made a difference. i'm pretty sure we didn't really start to get any idea of Mexican culture in this country until this Millennium. I don't really remember there being much Mexican food around pre-2000.

There are plenty of fabrics out there that still have that lovely colourful, embroidered vibe without painting caricatures, I'm sure.

BajaSusana

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 14:24:25 PM »
DF,
 I would be outraged by any textile depicting Mammy. And I am sure that Aftrican American women and thinking women of other cultures would too.
 I am so proud of Obama for taking a stand against the Confederate flag.
 Francesca,
 I have an extensive collection of Dia de Los Muertos sculpture, called Catrinas.
 And I have built an even bigger collection for my daughter.
 EQuilter.com has a beautiful array of  Dead fabric.
 You would love the altars that are everywhere in homes, restaurants and other businesses on Dia de los Muertos.

However there is never an excuse for cultural oblivion when there is so much good info online.
I am sewing a new blouse right now. But if you like I will send you the link to my Mexico living blog with my articles on  Catrinas, and Dia de Los Muertos.

DementedFairy

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 15:32:57 PM »
THat would be great, thanks
C'est moi!