The Sewing Place

Going to a Mexican themed party

Ravingdoll

Re: Going to a Mexican themed party
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 00:19:36 AM »
Ravingdoll,having lived in Mexico for 17 years, and travelled throughout Mexico, I am offended by your idea of what Mexican is.
Actually what you have described is some  ugly image of Mexico perpetrated by  Americans.
Frida Kahlo is an icon here. Some of her stuff is weird, some springs from physical pain.
 But she and Diego Rivera were revolutionaries, thinkers and artists.
Cacti in pots and sombreros are not kitsch, they are sully slurs. This themeis something you would find in New Mexic or Texas.
Your idea is almost as bad as wearing a fruit basket on your head a la Chiquita Banana, another American not-so-friendly caricature.
 White on white embroidery, or the colorful embroidery of Oaxaca is Mexican, gorgeous and fitting.

Would you paint your face black with big white lips minstrel style if you were invited to an African themed party?

Mexican cuisine was named one of the fine cuisines of the world by UNESCO.
I hope that there is guacamole served as well as pico de gallo, and chiles rellenos, or tacos al pastor, accompanied by fine Tequila, good Mexican beer (Corona and Pacifico are NOT good Mexican beers). How about a rich, dark mole? Or even some fine Mexican wines from the Valle de Guadalupe.

Caricatures as you have described as kitsch are not cute or funny. They serve to dehumanize .

Goodness what a very strong reaction to a rejection of fabric I don't want to wear!  You are offended by a political opinion I do not have or thought about. I am happy to consider your views now you have brought it to my attention but you over estimate my initial thoughts to something I rejected simply because I didn't want to wear it because I didn't find it pretty.    I think that the kitsch I refer to is the fact of it being on fabric rather than the meaning behind the person.  Would I paint my face black ..... Actually you don't know my ethnic background at all do you, me not having a personal avatar?  I hope there is guacamole on the menu too since I rather like it.  Whatever beer is being served will be a matter of indifference to me, since I don't drink it.  No offence to any beer swilling nation, but it is not my drink of choice, I like white wine.  Dry as it happens. A Mexican-themed party is a bit like choosing vintage life, a 'cherry pick' of life the way it never was.  Let's hope we can all get over ourselves. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 00:34:00 AM by Ravingdoll »

PollyWally

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 05:29:13 AM »
Raving Doll, if there are any actual Mexicans at your Mexican themed party perhaps you can ask their opinion about the political correctness  of your outfit. If not, have fun and enjoy the food and drinks and dancing whether authentic or not.

elephun

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 09:55:49 AM »
I'm glad Susan spoke up. I wasn't sure what to say. Being in the US, in California, it was quite a shock to read that someone was having a Mexican themed party where it would be appropriate to wear a garment made with fabric featuring "caricature Mexican men." There might be some circumstances in which fabric with "caricature Mexican men," isn't racist or demeaning, but I've honestly had trouble imagining any.

I appreciate DF's commentary about Mexico being very distant, the emotional impact, and the opportunity for education.

I don't really think that parties where the guests dress to the theme are all that popular in the US, except at Halloween. This may be very different than it is in the UK? I think the last non-Halloween theme party I attended had a 1970s theme and took place more than 20 years ago.

Francesca

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 10:13:40 AM »
it would be appropriate to wear a garment made with fabric featuring "caricature Mexican men."

I mean, RavingDoll did say they specifically did NOT want that style.

I just bought some Frida Kahlo fabric that I was recommended by an American sewing friend, so it's obviously not an issue for all.

I don't really think that parties where the guests dress to the theme are all that popular in the US, except at Halloween

Don't Americans often host "luaus", fake "Oktoberfest", St Paddys day or "toga" parties and "Renaissance" fairs? Whilst I can admit the latter two are slightly different because it is no longer worn, the formers are most definitely still a culture that also makes a popular party theme. Disney World even has a ride called the "Tiki Room". Tiki is an important figure in Māori culture but having a tiki themed bar and ride is acceptable in America.

I have another American friend who just hosted a British themed party with tea and umbrella fights and all that sort. I sort of rolled my eyes because it's very silly and a caricature but I also thought it was pretty funny and obviously intended to be lighthearted. Brits get stereotyped by other nations all the time, but our humour is self-deprecating enough that we just get on with it and don't mind. Eurovision (which is on tomorrow night!) is popular in Europe and it's common for people to host parties dressing up as other nations (this happens both in the UK and the other nations, I've attended as both France and Russia in recent years!)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 10:25:44 AM by Francesca »

b15erk

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 10:18:22 AM »
Tbh I have no problem with the Mexican, French, German, Spanish or any national theme.  The idea is not to offend anyone at all, it's a bit of fun, usually based around the cuisine which is to be served.

In my experience we are more likely to poke fun at our own failings rather than offend someone from a different culture.  I think Raving Doll will have a great time at her party, and I'm sure no Mexicans will be harmed in the process!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 10:34:27 AM »
As it transpires I made an off the shoulder (not peasant or gypsy style note!) dress in the colours of the Mexican flag.  Here in Exeter there are many hen and stag weekends where people dress up as Worzel Gummidge with carrots around their neck which is a caricature of West Country folk. We don't mind at all. One day I might even get to ride on a combine harvester. 

Francesca

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2017, 10:35:20 AM »
One day I might even get to ride on a combine harvester.

Only if they give you the key though.

b15erk

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2017, 10:39:52 AM »
Oh no!  That tune is starting up in my head!!  How does it go?

I've got a brand new Combine Harvester etc etc

Was it the Wurzels wot done it?

Thanks RD, that will be with me for the day!  :D :D

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Snowgoose

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2017, 11:31:57 AM »

Catllar

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2017, 15:54:40 PM »
Stop it - ear worm, ear worm, ear worm!

I went to a party last week for Burns' Night ( I know, don't need to point it out - a touch late, yes!) and we had many Scottish folk there dressed in the kilt complete with the ginger wig and hat. 

We do like a bit of a dress up.  We had a couple of Irish folk wearing green leprechaun hats ( No, no  idea why!!) A couple of St.George flags completed the night which featured Haggis and whisky tasting. All good fun and lots of leg pulling.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Tamnymore

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2017, 16:14:17 PM »
DH and I do a lot of Scottish country dancing which means frequent dressing up in tartan! It's not unusual for men to wear kilts in Scotland nowadays (not so usual when I was a nipper) but if he wears a kilt on the street in our little corner of England he is liable to get a wolf whistle from someone in a passing car.  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

DementedFairy

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2017, 19:24:09 PM »
I once suffered a seduction attempt to the tune of the Wurzels.

Shudder.
C'est moi!

Tamnymore

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2017, 20:52:35 PM »
 :o. Is there an icon for 'the mind boggles'?  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

elephun

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2017, 21:25:46 PM »
I mean, RavingDoll did say they specifically did NOT want that style.

FWIW, she did want fabric with caricatures of Mexican's men's faces. She did not want Frida Kahlo.

Images celebrating a cultural icon such as Frida Kahlo are different than ones meant to dehumanize, like caricatures. There can be a fine line between them that's difficult to negotiate flawlessly, but that is NOT what I was uncomfortable with about this thread, initially.

People yearn for other places and other times and want to enjoy and celebrate them with food, drink, and entertainment.

It it a different thing entirely, IMO, when once the snacks and drinks are taken away, all that is left is a caricature of a culture.

As to one of your examples, Saint Patrick's Day in the US has positive associations with being Irish-American which I would imagine is quite a different thing than being Irish.
The day also has associations with some of the general populus getting drunk on cheap American or Mexican beer while wearing green, which is stupid, IMO.

Carry on with your parties, themed or otherwise. I will carry on with my own.

Ravingdoll

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2017, 22:43:04 PM »
And for what this is worth Elephun, and I am sorry for any offence taken and certainly wasn't intended, to me the caricature aspect was simply that it is exactly that, a cartoon of something that doesn't even exist.  Like watching Tom & Jerry and then thinking my cat should be like Tom.     Do I believe that everyone in Mexico goes around wearing sombreros and the men have extravagant moustaches?  No I certainly do not.  Surely the offence/insult comes from those who actually think that is Mexico?  Or Tex-Mex?  I don't differentiate because I don't believe in them (the stereotyping not the actual place).  It's like having an argument as to whether Father Christmas comes from Greenland or Iceland.  He doesn't come from either because he doesn't exist.  I like all things vintage and retro.  I tell people my house is very 1940s/1950s.  My grandmother (sadly now deceased in February) would beg to differ.  She lived in London in the war.  My house has a few little nods here and there to an era I have never lived through and never will.  I've mixed them up and shaken them around, and by doing so it has given me an interest in that time.  But I haven't had to live through food rationing, wondering whether my house will still be standing in the morning etc etc.  Do I respect the people any the less because I have slightly (well ever so as it goes) glamourised that period? No.   Same with the Mexican theme.  I can assure you that none of us at the party think that is Mexico or is in any way intended to be detrimental to that place.   We'll probably never even get to go there.  Some of us will wish though.  The invitations to the party were bought from a High St shop quite legally (not by me, not my party) that have a couple of cacti on the front with the words "Arriba arriba".  All the tat to go with the party is High St rubbish that is intended to be a bit of fun.   We'll chat and giggle, and eat guacamole and other stereotypical food that would probably be unrecognisable to Mexican people - I had an Italian girl stay with me once and she could not reconcile herself to the pizzas and spag bol that were on offer here.  She ended up quite liking them but not as the cuisine of her country. 

However, all is not lost!!  Although I recognise Frida's photo I will confess that I have never known her background/history.  From this thread I have taken some time to read up and now know much that I previously did not.  And I am glad that I did.  I have downloaded an article on her, photocopied it and will circulate it to my friends tomorrow at the party who I am sure will be equally interested.  As has been said previously, Mexico as a separate culture is something that has only really only just come to the attention of Britain and most (certainly all here in Devon) restaurants again veer towards the cactus/sombrero/men with big moustaches stereotype.   In the same way that most Greek restaurants have the waiters at the end of the evening smashing plates and Thai restaurants have ladies in robes bowing to you when showing you to your table (and most of them actually are Exeter University students who will do anything to pay off their student loans!).  So please be assured that I go to tomorrow's party with slightly more open eyes than before, but on the other hand I must be allowed to retain my own sense of humour and perspective.  In truth the theme of the party is probably "fancy dress, we're going to eat food that they serve in local Mexican restaurants and shove some bottles of beers that we fancy are Mexican into the fridge but actually be more interested in the Prosecco because that's really our taste and we're going to get rather drunk and giggle and play La Bamba and Where is my Sombrero and then we are going to giggle a bit more and then we're going to go home and rue our frivolity for an hour or so the following day". But that's a bit long to put on the invitations so we compromise and call it "Mexican themed". We call it "Irish themed' on March 17th when we go to pubs and drink copious amounts of Guinness, wearing the colour green most of us wouldn't be seen dead in for the rest of the year, and say "to be sure to be sure"!  Most of us have closer contacts with Ireland than Mexico and know full well that Ireland is soooo not like that, but as they say in journalism, why spoil a good story with the truth?!