The Sewing Place

Towelling?

Surest1tch

Towelling?
« on: April 26, 2017, 14:42:17 PM »
I'm looking for some good quality soft towelling fabric to replace my ancient dressing gown with.  Having trawled through what feels like a gazillion sites I give up.  Has anyone bought any from anywhere they can direct me to please.
 Thanks in advance.
 Diane.

Pinkstar

Re: Towelling?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 15:32:12 PM »
I'd like to know too, as the only toweling I've seen in shops is rather thin sparse and not particularly nice.

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 18:47:09 PM »
I think I may have found some from Minerva Crafts, I've sent for a couple of samples and can't say it's cheap but if it's as good as it's described I'll get back to you.

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 11:14:43 AM »
The sample has arrived and I'm not so sure it was described accurately, it's only a small piece and doesn't look like the luxury towelling it was described as!  There isn't enough for me to wash and see if it fluffs up so I guess it's back to searching I guess.
I got the towelling for my beloved ancient threadbare dressing gown from a factory shop which is sadly no longer there.

Fiona M

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 12:00:31 PM »
I've been on the hunt for some nice quality stretch towelling for years, but I've never found what I'm looking for.

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 21:05:22 PM »
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 13:11:42 PM by sewingj »

Pinkstar

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 21:43:16 PM »
no 'fraid not  :(

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 21:44:34 PM »
Still looking  :'(

Madame Cholet

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 22:07:50 PM »
I bought plain bath towels from Ikea a while back to make myself a dressing gown.

The Nackten bath sheets are plain white only and a little on the thin side but cost only £2.25 each (100 x 150 cm size).

The Haren bath sheets are the same size but cost a fiver each, they are much thicker and are coloured.

I ended up using some Nackten bath sheets for my dressing gown, because I am a tight wad, and bought a few of the Haren ones for the bathroom.  8)

Both Nackten and Haren towels are just a rectangle of plain towelling, with no texturing in the weave or bands at the ends, so there's not much fabric waste.

Here's the link:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/search/?k=Bath+sheets&Ns=sku.price%7C0%7C%7Csku.productName%7C0%7C%7Csku.productTypeName%7C0%7C%7Cproduct.repositoryId%7C0%7C%7Csku.itemNumber%7C0&summary=true 

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 22:56:54 PM »
I'm on the hunt too as boyfriend said he wants a new dressing gown.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 09:15:27 AM »
I can't help with finding towelling, but I remember making a dressing gown from a very thick and fluffy towelling  many years ago, and the mess was unbelievable.  Bits of fluff and thread absolutely everywhere!  Never again!

b15erk

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 09:24:56 AM »
I have a couple of pieces in the stash, and if anyone is interested I will put some pics up.  There is an orange, and a lavender/blue colour, both are stretch.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

wrenkins

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 09:39:18 AM »
The second thing I ever made myself was a towelling tabard in P7. It was bias bound using a treadle Singer and had hand finished hems. I seem to remember the binding was hand finished too.
Why can't I do all that now then?!?!?!?!  ><
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!