The Sewing Place

Any ideas on how to alter this top?

Sheilago

Any ideas on how to alter this top?
« on: April 26, 2017, 15:44:26 PM »
I bought this top for a party last year and have worn it once . The party was in winter so I wore it over a fine black polo neck.  It was quite expensive, but when I saw myself in the photos of the party I resolved to lose weight and have lost 2 stone, so I'm now a size 12-14.

I still like the top , but even though it's sized 'small' it's now huge and I'd prefer it to have some sort of sleeve. It has slits at the side and is mid thigh length with pockets in the seam at the front.

I am really a patchwork and craft sewer, so I wondered if any f you dressmakers had ideas on how to change it. Or is it headed for the charity shop after just one outing?!

BrendaP

Re: Any ideas on how to alter this top?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 18:40:15 PM »
 can't quite get my head around how it is supposed to look.  Can you post a photo either of it being worn or hanging on a coat hanger.

I does however look to be quite voluminous, so there might be enough fabric to make small cap sleeves, but maybe it would be more successful just taking it in, and adding lace sleeves.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sheilago

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 21:40:33 PM »
Don't have any photos as I was so dismayed by my appearance I deleted them and changed my eating totally, hence weight loss. It is a tunic type top, quite long and drapey ( the fabric is stretchy) with dropped shoulders, so there is a tiny bit of sleeve. I did consider cutting a bit off the bottom, taking in the side seams and using the cut off fabric for sleeves, but I think I could just destroy it. Maybe I should try selling it!

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 22:11:35 PM »
But if you want alteration advice, it would help to see you wearing it, so we can tell what needs to change, and how much excess you have.
C'est moi!

Sheilago

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 22:27:57 PM »
Of course, I could take new photos! Will try that tomorrow. How silly, I was just thinking I'd deleted photos from last year. :|