The Sewing Place

Orange..

Efemera

Orange..
« on: April 26, 2017, 22:02:08 PM »
I fancy making an orange cardigan ... anyone seen any suitable material?

Efemera

Re: Orange..
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 22:38:22 PM »

Morgan

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 13:50:06 PM »
Hmmm, was tempted to wait to share this one with you because I need to go back and buy some more.

I've made a boat neck style pullover/tunic with 3/4 sleeves with this fabric and adore it.
It's a rich deep coral and the feel and drape are just lovely, much, much nicer in real life than in the pic.  They call it coral but I think of it as a gorgeous orangey red or a reddy orange - not much help I know but it's a delicious colour and best of all it doesn't pill, is washed in the washing machine with everything else (and tumble dried) and hasn't needed ironing.

https://www.minervacrafts.com/shop/fabric/dress-fabrics/36f-k2044-coral-m-loose-knitted-stretch-jersey-dress-fabric?colour=Coral

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 17:35:59 PM by Morgan »

Morgan

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 14:29:46 PM »
Hope the pic is the correct way up. Whenever I upload from my phone it usually goes sideways whether the photo is taken portrait or landscape.

(Oh dear.  seems to happen only here, it's okay elsewhere)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 14:38:07 PM by Morgan »

Fabric Lover

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 17:29:33 PM »
That is lovely, Morgan, I might just have to order some! Oh dear adding to the stash again!
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 18:54:58 PM »
Oh nice...where's my credit card

Been and shopped thank you.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 19:09:16 PM by Efemera »

Morgan

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 20:55:09 PM »
With that fabric I used -
- a 'stretch' needle,
- sewing machine and O/L
- woven tape in the shoulder seams for support, to keep them the same length and to prevent them from distorting or stretching,h
- a strip of a lightweight hem tape (a light fusible web like wunderweb) to stabilise and control the hems before stitching.  A lightweight knit/stretch interfacing would have done the same job.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 20:58:37 PM by Morgan »

Fabric Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 09:41:14 AM »
Delighted with this fabric that Morgan recommended. I made McCalls 6996http://www.sewdirect.com/acatalog/McCalls-M6996.html
View A/B not finished yet. I have to do the hems - so I have a question.  For stabilising the shaped hem, do I cut interfacing following the curved hem or cut straight? I'm assuming curved, but thought I would check.

Morgan

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 12:28:17 PM »
Delighted with this fabric . . .
 I have to do the hems - so I have a question.  For stabilising the shaped hem, do I cut interfacing following the curved hem or cut straight?
I just use narrow straight strips of a lightweight stretch/knit interfacing.
Love the stuff it's so useful, doesn't add bulk and stretches with the fabric and the stitches.
Also it's easy to fit it around curves.

Looking good - the fabric is fab isn't it
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 21:56:24 PM by Morgan »

Fabric Lover

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 13:17:40 PM »
Looking good - the fabric is fab isn't it
It really is, Morgan, many thanks for the heads up. I guess that it may pull easily though.  Hasn't yet though! Thanks for the info too.