The Sewing Place

Lanty's Stuff

Lantana

Lanty's Stuff
« on: April 28, 2017, 17:33:32 PM »
Some of you may have seen my African Animals kaleido blocks. (Posted it in someones thread but I can't remember where now) Started it years ago for someone who is no longer part of my life but didn't want to throw it away as I liked the fabric. The plan is to turn it from a wall hanging to a quillow. As the fabric is no longer available I had to improvise on further blocks and made some paper pieced animals from the book 'A Quilters Ark'. I'm just bumbling along really making it up as I go and of course the longer I take the longer I can put off the dreaded quilting  :P

Lanty  :vintage:

Lantana

Re: Lanty's Stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 17:41:16 PM »
The animals will get embroidered enhancements at the finishing stage. Here's a better pic of the elephant.

:vintage:

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 19:03:59 PM »
Wow, Lanty, I had no idea you were so accomplished R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
I'll probably be too in awe of you to chat so freely now  :| :D

Triumph of hope over experience :D

Vegegrow

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 20:55:55 PM »
They are looking great Lanty ....love the rich colours
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 23:40:29 PM »
Wow that is really clever and I adore it.  :loveit:
Willing but not always able :)

Lantana

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 23:54:59 PM »
Thankyou everyone.  :)  No need to be in awe Lowena ... the photos are hiding a multitude of sins! The paper pieced animals required patience rather than skill! I traced each one not just onto the paper but also onto some freezer paper to aid cutting the fabric as I kept misjudging how much to cut. I have a good light box to aid in the tracing and it's very soothing to spend time doing a load of tracing. Can you remember those books sold in Woolworths with line drawings for colouring interspersed with tracing paper? The sort of thing that kept us quiet before the invention of computer games. Rainy afternoons with my light box and I'm back in my childhood!

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 09:20:39 AM »
Bless ... I've never fancied paper piecing  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 10:35:10 AM »
No one would ever know that the animals weren't part of the original plan.  Your fabrics fit with the original perfectly. 
Life's too short for ironing.

Lantana

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 13:43:35 PM »
It was a case of 'liberating fq's from my stash' as per Iminei's comment on your thread Ploshkin ... knew they'd come in handy sometime.  :)  :)  :)

L :vintage:

rubywishes

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 08:59:01 AM »
Wow, Lanty, I had no idea you were so accomplished R.E.S.P.E.C.T.
I'll probably be too in awe of you to chat so freely now  :| :D
Haha, shuffle over here and join me in the "Oh My Gawd corner" Lowie! 0_0

Lantana, I love your animals and like Lowie, am super impressed with people who have the patience and "arty eye" to do that sort of stuff.  And yes, I remember those colouring books with the tracing paper! 0_0
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Pinkstar

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 20:01:57 PM »
They are fabulous Lanty  <3 <3

Lantana

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 15:54:13 PM »
Thankyou for your kind comments ... I can't take too much credit though as I didn't design them myself. Still not sure where to go from here and haven't had time to think as I've had a visitor for the last week. It's the actual quilting that fills me with anxiety. Even straight line quilting which I have done on those quits that I have finished and which should be easy as I have a Janome which has a dual feed system intimidates me a bit. I'm nowhere near up to Iminei's standard!

Wondering whether to do some brightly coloured big stitch as suggested by Lowena on this one? I so want to get machine quilting sorted I've done it on small pieces and that's not too bad but I don't really feel in control. I must find items to practise on!  :)