The Sewing Place

Carbon paper and tracing wheel

sewingj

Carbon paper and tracing wheel
« on: May 02, 2017, 20:01:27 PM »
I`m about to make a dress which has a number of pleats across the bodice.  I need a good way of marking the pleats and thought I would try some dressmaker`s carbon and a tracing wheel. (Haven`t used it before)
Looking on Amazon the best seems to be Burda dressmaking carbon and the Clover Tracing Wheel.

Any thoughts on these?  Or any other ideas for marking the pleats?  If I don`t use this I think I would mark the start and finish of each placement line with a washable pen and draw in the line with a ruler (is that making sense?)

Thanks

UttaRetch

Re: Carbon paper and tracing wheel
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 20:03:50 PM »
Modern carbon paper is RUBBISH and the tracing wheel is suprisingly tricky to use.  I think your fall back option is better.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 20:22:09 PM »
Thanks Utta - I don`t really want to be buying more "stuff" if I can manage without

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 21:02:06 PM »
I tend to do everything I possibly can with a water soluble pen or tailor's chalk.  Very easy to use and to get rid of when necessary.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

StitchinTime

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 21:45:17 PM »
I'd use tailor tacks for this. You could use different colours of threads to make it clearer as to what goes where.

DementedFairy

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 13:27:08 PM »
When something REALLY needs to be marked, I'm still using the waxed paper that we got several years ago when a TSF member went to the US remember?  We all shared a large quantity I think.  It's very good, but is only used occasionally.
For short term marking, I have a chalk pen, or use tailors chalk [I even had one in a  cracker this year, result!]
I've also been known to just reach for whatever pen or pencil is nearest, in a pinch.  Bad Fairy.

A sliver of soap is brilliant for darker fabrics.

I've even used tailor tacks when I'm feeling like being conventional...

I had some of those marker pens that fade, but they fade to damn fast!
C'est moi!

charlotte

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 13:37:43 PM »
I use my wax paper a lot. I ordered it from the US and had to pay quite a lot of shipping I think but it was worth it. Unfortunately it's only really good for thicker fabrics or underlined garments, because it does show through light colours. Otherwise I would use tailors tacks and draw the lines on with a Frixion pen before sewing, or even thread trace the line with a silk thread. I DO NOT at all recommend ordinary carbon paper. The stuff I purchased (pre wax paper) was absolutely useless.

Jo

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2017, 08:09:21 AM »
Wanted to post some feedback on the Burda carbon paper: I use it when I really, really have to mark something and so far it has been pretty good, I honestly can't complain. Don't have anything to compare it to, so that might be why :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 09:19:39 AM »
I mainly use tailors chalk or tailors tacks depending how precise, and how many, marks I need to make.  I have been known to use an ordinary lead pencil, Frixion pens or washable felt markers, I do only use these if they are never likely to ever be seen.

I bought a tracing wheel and carbon paper many moons ago, but the novelty soon wore off. 

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Kad

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 10:31:27 AM »
Carbon paper and tracing angels are far too much effort to use properly, I agree with everybody above - use what you already have to hand.  Save the cost to buy more fabric  :devil:
Producing patchwork on the periphery of Preston