The Sewing Place

best thread for quilting

Lilian

best thread for quilting
« on: May 05, 2017, 23:13:50 PM »
I have been procrastinating for the last few weeks.  :\

I bought some fabric and wadding to make a baby quilt a few weeks ago now.  I have promised this as a prezzie for a yet to be born baby boy.  OOeer  :o  I've never quilted properly yet, so the fabric is Holly Hobbie in blue for a boy and the wadding is 100% cotton and needle punched.  I hope I have bought correctly for a newborn baby.

My question is, what thread is best for the quilting I would think cotton but don't know what weight I should use?  Is there a particular make that is best and how much would I need?

I will post a photo of the fabric and wadding tomorrow.

I hope someone can help.   :thread:  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Ploshkin

Re: best thread for quilting
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 07:44:08 AM »
Someone else with experience will be along I'm sure but I've just finished quilting my log cabin and I used cotton quilting thread (Tutankhamun).  I had absolutely no problems with it and it didn't break at all.
Life's too short for ironing.

rubywishes

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 11:05:09 AM »
Some quilters claim you can only use 100% cotton thread for quilting whilst others use poly. The theory used to be that the poly or poly blend threads would cut through your cotton fabric eventually but I wonder about the validity of this these days with improved threads, weave etc.  Thread weight depends on whether you are quilting by hand or machine, or whether you want your quilting to stand out (use a heavier weight thread) or to blend in (use a finer weight).  Still another consideration is whether you want to use speciality threads for special effects though I doubt this would be of concern for a cot quilt. Consideration must be given to "safety" when constructing a cot quilt and whilst I've never "done" one myself I have heard other quilters discussing the "twist around little fingers" problem of polyester thread versus cotton thread. I personally wouldn't be using a monofilament in a cot quilt.

As a rule, for my general machine quilting I use 50 weight thread...good quality such as Guttermann or Aurafil.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 11:11:22 AM »
I'm with Rubes,40 or 50wt cotton thread for machine quilting. I generally hand quilt, if I do big stitch, I use perle thread no8, ordinary hand quilting 30wt. Always go for a good brand :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 13:52:34 PM »
Here is the fabric and the wadding I bought.  The squares are 6.5 inches sq.  I was thinking of quilting along the squares.  I am planning to use the same fabric back and front and, if I can, use the fabric to turn up and over for the binding.  Is that daft?

The wadding however is 45" by 59".  I don't think I want to make it quite that big, especially for a first time.

I am trying add the photos but having problems  :(

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 13:53:16 PM »
Hope this one shows up.

Lilian

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 13:58:46 PM »
This is the wadding:

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 17:00:18 PM »
Just cos you bought a pre-cut sized wadding doesn't mean you have to make the quilt that size especially as its for a cot quilt.

Check the quilt sizes sticky in The Dark side.

I always machine quilt with a large stitch size (5) as I want the stitches to show.

I luuurve YLI (for ages I thought it was called YOU, because I didn't have reading glasses!!!) variegated threads.
But any quality thread that enhances your quilt will do.

Quilting along the squares???

You can also cross the squares... ie Quilt across the diagonals,  for a simple and effective look!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lilian

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 17:22:28 PM »
Just cos you bought a pre-cut sized wadding doesn't mean you have to make the quilt that size especially as its for a cot quilt.

Check the quilt sizes sticky in The Dark side.

I always machine quilt with a large stitch size (5) as I want the stitches to show.

I luuurve YLI (for ages I thought it was called YOU, because I didn't have reading glasses!!!) variegated threads.
But any quality thread that enhances your quilt will do.

Quilting along the squares???

You can also cross the squares... ie Quilt across the diagonals,  for a simple and effective look!

Thank Imi, I think I will cut the wadding to a smaller size; I checked the sizes on the Dark Side so will go with that.

Because the wadding can be quilted up to 10" apart, and I am not piecing squares, I thought I could stitch along the squares to make it look more traditional, would that work?  Not sure about diagonal.

Also would it be best to pin or baste the layers?

I've just had another thought, if I do use the same fabric for the backing I would have to try to match up the squares  :(.  Not sure I'm ready for that yet!

Thanks for the tip on stitch size  :)

Lilian

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 17:25:07 PM »
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 17:28:02 PM by Lilian »

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 20:42:50 PM »
Because the wadding can be quilted up to 10" apart, and I am not piecing squares, I thought I could stitch along the squares to make it look more traditional, would that work?  Not sure about diagonal.

Just because you can quilt as much as 10" apart doesn't mean that you have to, or even that you should.

Also would it be best to pin or baste the layers?
Personally I prefer pinning.  Whenever I've tried to thread baste layers together I've always ended up getting those huge stitches caught up in the machine foot.

I've just had another thought, if I do use the same fabric for the backing I would have to try to match up the squares  :(.  Not sure I'm ready for that yet!
I'd say it's almost impossible to exactly match patterns on front and back, and if you are quilting around/with the printed squares it would not look good if the patterns don't match!  Go for a smallish, all-over pattern for the backing, preferably something swirly and random rather than geometric.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 21:24:13 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lilian

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 21:07:07 PM »
Thanks Brenda, I'm beginning wish I hadn't promised this.  I have never done FMQ only WF lines on small samples  :[  -<

I think I should get a different fabric for the back, maybe a spot. I would feel happier doing straight lines I think :)

Iminei

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 11:03:43 AM »
Don't stress yourself out Lillian

I hadn't realised that you are using a complete piece of fabric and quilting it together

(Ahem...I started out that way too!)

A small random pattern is best for the backing.

Its a small project, you can Spray Baste with 505 for this.
And then, sew with a Walking Foot (although when i started I didn't have one, but if you do...use it. it makes life soooo much easier!!) along the lines.

Turn the quilt so the least amount of quilt is passing through the harp space.
(There will be a time when half your quilt will be under the harp but with a cot size this wont be too difficult.)

.... and sew as slowly as you wish. It won't be half as difficult as you imagine, but dont dilly dally you'll work yourself up...just do it.

Have some favourite music or the radio on while you sew.

Lilian

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2017, 22:18:16 PM »
Don't stress yourself out Lillian

I hadn't realised that you are using a complete piece of fabric and quilting it together

(Ahem...I started out that way too!)

A small random pattern is best for the backing.

Its a small project, you can Spray Baste with 505 for this.
And then, sew with a Walking Foot (although when i started I didn't have one, but if you do...use it. it makes life soooo much easier!!) along the lines.

Turn the quilt so the least amount of quilt is passing through the harp space.
(There will be a time when half your quilt will be under the harp but with a cot size this wont be too difficult.)

.... and sew as slowly as you wish. It won't be half as difficult as you imagine, but dont dilly dally you'll work yourself up...just do it.

Have some favourite music or the radio on while you sew.

Thanks for the advice Imi, I am looking for a suitable backing fabric, I found some blue with white dots that may fit.  But now I am thinking if the Holly Hobbie fabric is really suitable for a boy?  I did check the patterns and there are no girls on it  -<.

I will use my walking foot and I need to get some spray baste.  I know I should start in the middle somewhere and also cut the wadding larger than the fabric.  I am slowly gearing up  :[ ready to start.

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 07:09:12 AM »
But now I am thinking if the Holly Hobbie fabric is really suitable for a boy?  I did check the patterns and there are no girls on it

Its for a baby right??? Its a baby...It doesn't matter as long as its not PINK!

I wish we were closer I would love to come over and walk you through this...
The biggest problem is the fact you haven't done this before!

You are going to be so pleased at how easy this is going to be...Trust me!