The Sewing Place

Hola from Baja California Sur, Mexico

Catllar

Re: Hola from Baja California Sur, Mexico
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 18:58:52 PM »
So what do I say if I want to order rum for four in a bar then?? :devil:
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Catllar

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 19:00:41 PM »
I blame O level Latin and a grammar school education!

Bloody latin teacher - I still have nightmares - she was vicious with the blackboard rubber!

BajaSusana

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 20:28:30 PM »
So what do I say if I want to order rum for four in a bar then?? :devil:
Ron para cuatro por favor!

UttaRetch

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 20:46:29 PM »
That's if you want to order in Spanish, Catllar.  If you want Latin, I think it's going to be a bit more difficult.  0_0

DementedFairy

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 20:49:49 PM »
Versipellis sum!
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 21:10:01 PM »
Easy for you to say, missus with your Latin learning and all.  0_0

Francesca

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 23:00:01 PM »
Yeah my dunce school barely taught English let alone Latin  ;) we carnt all b as clevar as u DF

BajaSusana

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 01:16:03 AM »
Versipellis sum!
When I see people referring to youu as DF, I think that they are talking about Mexico City! (Distrito Federal). Like Washington, D.C.
 Latin reminds me of the early days of Catholic school and chruch. Still recovering from that torture!

DementedFairy

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 04:03:54 AM »
¡Arriba!

Well Fran, not everyone is as clever as me, 'tis true, but everyone should try to be! lol  :angel: :devil:

I loved Latin, especially the rude bits, via Catullus.  At a time when our English teacher could only deal with the expurgated versions of Shakespeare, and would STILL blush at the Nurse's mildly ribald speeches that were left in, a bit of acceptable 'percy filth' was a delight!

As for Catholic school- my only contact was two weeks of 'experience' prior to starting my teacher training.  I found that watching elderly nuns berating small children about prayer before every lesson rather unpleasant, especially the one that harangued a five year old until she wet herself.  Confirmed all my anti-religious prejudices I'm afraid.  I'm a great believer in the separation of church and education...

C'est moi!

Catllar

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 08:24:56 AM »
Vive la République!!

Lilian

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 20:46:29 PM »
Welcome Sunsana  :)  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

seawinds

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2017, 19:31:04 PM »
Welcome!  I too used to live in the Silicon Valley. My family had lived in the area since the mid 1800s, but most of us have been "priced out".  It's the great Pacific Northwet for me now.  I'm interested in Lutterloh as well.  I'd like to see a discussion comparing Lutterloh, Sure-Fit, and Wild Ginger design techniques.
Seams legit

BajaSusana

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2017, 20:54:34 PM »
Welcome!  I too used to live in the Silicon Valley. My family had lived in the area since the mid 1800s, but most of us have been "priced out".  It's the great Pacific Northwet for me now.  I'm interested in Lutterloh as well.  I'd like to see a discussion comparing Lutterloh, Sure-Fit, and Wild Ginger design techniques.
Seawinds
 We were not priced out. We purchased our RoseGarden house in 1993. Prices were still depressed after the Loma Prieta EQ. But we could NOT love there now! My $309k house  was recently re-sold for over a million! We sold it in 2000 for nearly 3x what we paid!

I purchased the full Sure-Fit  Designs (SFD) system and went to Glenda's 5-day and extremely expensive  retreat.  I likened it to Guantanamo. It was not enjoyable at all.
 The system is OK, it is based on the same idea as Lutterloh.  But SFD has  too much measuring and figuring and fitting involved. And Glenda's designs are frumpy.
I sold the system to a neighbor.
 Living off the track, means doing without some consumer goods. Patterns are near impossible to come by. So the ability to make one's own patterns is key to enjoying sewing.
 I give Lutterloh my vote for ease of use. On trend and classic designs. And good fit.
 I know nothing about Wild Ginger.
I did start a Lutterloh thread here , but it has gone nowhere.
Since my main machine just went to the repair shop and I won't see it for three weeks, I am going to catch up on my blog, and draft some new items. I have my basic Singer 301A that I use for buttonholes. I can sew on it.
 I will let you know when I have posted on my blog.  I may do very short reviews on PR. Off to siesta.

Surest1tch

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2017, 21:00:43 PM »
Hi Baja, welcome.  I haven't tried the Lutterlohbut I've just purchased the Surefit kit after seeing how nicely Addicts blouse fitted her in an earlier post she made.  She made it using the Surefit kit, I haven't had time to use it yet but it looks like it's fairly simple and accurate.

BajaSusana

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2017, 15:26:41 PM »
Many people I know like SFD and use it.
 I did like the bodice kit and shirt kit. But I had such a horrendous experience at the retreat I sold the system.

I have a dressmaker friend that uses both systems depending on the needs of her  clients.
Glenda's free videos are very well done and  will help you.