The Sewing Place

Multiple machines

Sewingsue

Multiple machines
« on: May 08, 2017, 11:23:40 AM »
I know several of you have and regularly use more than one machine -sewing machines/overlocker/coverstitch etc.
Do you have separate tables for them or do you just get a lot of weightlifting exercise getting them in and out of cupboards?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 11:54:31 AM by Sewingsue »
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

BrendaP

Re: Multiple machines
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 11:29:53 AM »
I have a very big corner desk.  The Husqvarna and overlocker sit at the back of the main part and get pulled/lifted forward as necessary.  The cover stitcher lives at the other end of the desk and gets pulled towards the middle of the desk as required.  The Singer is on a separate table which faces the main part of the desk and doesn't get moved. 
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 11:57:49 AM »
I use a Horn cabinet so I have space for the machine in front of me and then my O/L to the side. The rest of the machines are tucked away!

Sewingsue

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 12:16:51 PM »
I use a Horn cabinet so I have space for the machine in front of me and then my O/L to the side. The rest of the machines are tucked away!
I lust after those new Horn cabinets with space for O/L etc, but the one I bought years ago (sale when local Singer shop was closing, but still a lot of money) is still in too good a condition to think of replacing it.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 13:42:56 PM »
I often have two at the back of my makeshift table (a very cheap small Argos desk with a larger sheet of contiboard on top) behind whichever one is in current use.  I am a little concerned about how much weight this cheap desk will take, so try to move them off and only have two on it.  I'm also in the process of buying padded/insulated bags for all my machines, as they have to be in the conservatory til we have the extension built, and it get so ridiculously hot sometimes.  Do you think the heat will harm them, or make the oil disappear as it gets hot?

Surest1tch

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 15:16:25 PM »
My favorite flatbed machine has its own stand, I use my overlocker on my cutting out table.  As for the other machines I rarely use them unless it's for something like buttonholes, they have to go on the cutting table too.
I'd love to have a separate table for the others but my sewing room is too small to fit one in.

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 15:50:29 PM »
I have now lost count of my machines, which is a shameful situation.  The ones I use at work are the 15k and 66k treadles, one in my office, the other in the front office with the Riccar overlocker and the Singer 327k.  There are various others under the desk, cutting table, ironing board.  My preferred sewing machines at home, live on a long IKEA desk surface.  The Pfaff 1475cd, Pfaff 4850 Coverstyle (Combi O/L & CStitch), and the Bernina 730 lives at the back (should the need for her services arise).  There is also my Singer Slantshank in a Horn Cabinet, and another 15k Treadle which atm is unused.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 16:00:02 PM »
I have now lost count of my machines, which is a shameful situation.
Jessie
  :D

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 16:20:14 PM »
We'll have to stage an 'intervention'.  0_0

Sewingsue

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 16:45:44 PM »
I  think I might be able to fit in a Horn Hide away table, which would also give me a flat worktable as well as a machine stand (not that expensive either).
Many thanks for comments (and any still to come).

Efemera

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 17:44:01 PM »
All my machines are in cupboards so I have to set everything up. When I do there's room for two on my desk... I have to shuffle the overlocker and coverstitch about

elephun

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 18:50:15 PM »
I also have a long IKEA work top. It nicely fits three machines: Babylock Elizabeth SM, Babylock Imagine serger, and a large Singer combo machine set up for regular sewing, without the embroidery unit and extra space needed for that specialized task.

I'd be cramped on that work surface with the three machines if I actually wanted to embroider, but that never happens!

I have my Babylock coverstitch set up in a different corner on a small pedestal bookshelf that's the right height. I can roll my chair right up to it like its a desk.

I'd love to have Mom's machine out, too, but I hate feeling cramped.

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 21:37:04 PM »
Of the 4 working machines that I have at home, the heavy computerised one is in an RMF cabinet but I'm using it less and less as I've become just too smitten by my old 1020 Bernina), which sits on the floor and I try to think of it as good exercise as I groan to lift up and down onto the gate-leg table. The fact I have to do that but still use her the most emphasizes just how much I love her.

I then have a fairly heavy overlocker and lighter coverstitcher but they both sit on a small table to the back of me so it's very easy by comparison to lift them up a couple of inches and swing them around and over to the table.

At my daughter's I have a sewing machine and overlocker both in cases on the floor so I always have to lift them up. They're lighter than the ones at home so it's not that bad.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

DementedFairy

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 05:25:40 AM »
I use the dining table, now given over entirely to me.  The overlocker and sewing machine are on there 90% of the time, the Singer treadle [mainly for buttonholes] directly behind me in its own cabinet of course.

The two get moved onto a chair or the windowsill when I use the table for cutting.  The two newer additions to the stable are currently under the table [Featherweight, still waiting to be electrical-checked and declared fit for use, and another old hand operated one, which I plan to set up just for ruffling]

Two of the main 3 have dustcovers, must finish the third!
C'est moi!

Sewingsue

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 07:53:23 AM »
I have avoided the temptations of vintage machines, but I would make an exception for a Featherweight  <3 .
I know I really should get Mum's Singer out of the case and give it some exercise (oh, the lovely smell when I open the carry case).