The Sewing Place

Order of quilting?

rubywishes

Order of quilting?
« on: May 12, 2020, 04:57:50 AM »
I know we quilt from the centre out, or from edge to edge but I have a dilemma. I have 21" squares which I am going to join with QAYG so I have my squares individually sandwiched. I have "stabilised" them with some SITD and now want to do the actual quilting. Can I, seeing as how I have done some SITD, not start my quilting in the centre of the block? Whilst I have my walking foot on I thought I could just do all the walking foot quilting and leave the fmq which is in the centre of each block until last. Do you reckon that would be ok? :thinking:
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

Re: Order of quilting?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 05:49:51 AM »
Stabilised with SID

Real stitches or basting ??

For a 21" block I would definitely Spray baste and run a line of Basting stitches (Stitch length 5 and in Bleaurgh colour not used anywhere else in block for ease of picking outness) along the diagonals and if required the horizontal and vertical too.

Then as long as the fabrics are lying as taut  and flat as they can I cant see any reason not to quilt your 'frame', leaving your middle area clear for that fancy schmancy work of the Devil FMQ /??

But dont take my word for it Rubes, Try one!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 06:35:04 AM »
Yep, real stitches Im. Nah, no spray baste, I pinned the little sucker and then did some SITD outlining each of the 3 segments.  I'm thinking I'll give one a go and see. Just as you suggested. I'm not even 100% sure now that I want to fmq the centre circle now but reckon I'll make my mind up when I've done the rest...then I'll sit back and let it "speak to me" (picture me here doing a zen pose).
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 07:09:43 AM »
I did that with my last quilt @rubywishes which was 60" square.  I did the straight line stuff first which stabilised it then did the fmq at the end - by that point the areas where the fmq was going couldn't move anywhere.
Life's too short for ironing.