The Sewing Place

Would you recommend "Simply Sewing" magazine?

Curious Gem

Would you recommend "Simply Sewing" magazine?
« on: May 12, 2020, 13:44:23 PM »
There's an intro offer of 6 issues for £9.99 but I don't want to subscribe if it's no good.
Thanks

WildAtlanticWay

Re: Would you recommend "Simply Sewing" magazine?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 13:55:36 PM »
I buy it and have re-subscribed to their latest offer for 3 issues for €9.99 delivered to Ireland. (Postage costs are about a fiver per issue for me, so this was a good saving.)

As a newby sewer who hasn’t made many garments, I find it useful, especially with the free patterns. If you’re not keen on a particular pattern, you can probably sell it quite easily, although I’ve given my unwanted patterns away to friends so far.

It also has adverts for fabric shops which is useful if you don’t live near any.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 17:57:49 PM »
No, but I am not in favour of sewing magazines generally.  I leaf through the offerings at WH Smith's, but there is never a must have pattern or an interesting enough article.  Some of them are too much of a generalist for this garment only maker.

A sewing book is much more instructive and is a one off purchase. 

snoozi soozi

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 18:16:45 PM »
I've had a subscription for the past four years, originally a Christmas present from OH.

I like the magazine, the patterns are sometimes useful, dependant on what you want of course. There's good reading in it, and tutorials for other makes.

As with anything it's personal choice  :)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

annieeg

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 18:33:21 PM »
I think like @snoozi soozi about this have taken out a sub today.  5 editions for £5 and then £29.95 for 6.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 18:53:07 PM »
I subscribe to the 'law of diminishing returns'.  I have had many passions and thrown myself enthusiastically into everything that I can find about this new craze - magazines, online content etc - then comes a moment when I miss an issue or stop going avidly online.  Those are the moments when I know interest is waning and the decision not to subscribe was the right one.