The Sewing Place

old caravan

Penabby

old caravan
« on: May 12, 2020, 18:17:51 PM »
I am going to buy a really old caravan, I want to make some new cushion covers and curtains. Any advice and tips on where to start, especially the cushion covers?   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
The mind is everything, what you think you become - Buddha.

Penabby

Re: old caravan
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 18:18:33 PM »
bearing in mind I am a beginner.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 18:30:40 PM »
Just make some easy loose box cushion covers for the seating...
Posts of info on tinterweb..
http://sharktails.ca/2017/06/25/easiest-box-cushion-cover-people-cant-sew/

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 18:32:21 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper is yer woman. Pretty sure she made covers for her motor home lately.

I know they're dated but I would be loathe to take hard wearing, well fitted covers to risk ending up with none. I think Bodgey's might be removable.
Fashion fades, style is forever!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 20:02:29 PM »
I made removable covers out of polartec type fleece decorated with my embroidery machine.  They covered the top and sides then had elastic round the edges underneath.  I'm sure I posted them somewhere...

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 20:06:20 PM »
Clicky linky.

Not sure how much use it will be to you though @Penabby

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 20:39:46 PM »
Caravan curtains are fixed top & bottom on to rails so that they don't hang in mid air at the bottom due to the slope of the van sides.  I decided it was too much faff to replace the 'flesh' coloured curtains in our caravan (about the same vintage as yours) so I've learnt to live with them.
Life's too short for ironing.

Penabby

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 20:46:31 PM »
Clicky linky.

Not sure how much use it will be to you though @Penabby

@Bodgeitandscarper those covers are amazing! really beautiful, I can only aspire to doing anything remotely like that.

Penabby

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 20:50:11 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper is yer woman. Pretty sure she made covers for her motor home lately.

I know they're dated but I would be loathe to take hard wearing, well fitted covers to risk ending up with none. I think Bodgey's might be removable.

Good point, maybe I could leave those old ones as they are and buy the foam to practice on a small one to start.

Lachica

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 10:11:00 AM »
I recovered boat seat cushions, much the same as a caravan except more chance of mould. Ours were very mouldy, stained etc. So nothing to lose. I removed them & used as a pattern, adding cord filled piping.  I used 100% polyester fabric from a mill shop. Although cotton is very nice, it does go mouldy easily. If yours are in good condition then maybe make removable covers. Otherwise, pick the smallest, squarest to start on.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 14:22:21 PM »
I am going to buy a really old caravan, I want to make some new cushion covers and curtains. Any advice and tips on where to start, especially the cushion covers?

@Penabby  Do you mean the small scatter cushions or the large box cushions?

Scatter cushions are easy, but a zip in the back or beside the piping is best.

Box cushions.  Unpick an existing one (one of each size) to use as a pattern.  Make sure you use an upholstery fabric, and preferably one that can be cleaned with spray on carpet/upholstery cleaner rather than taken to be dry cleaned.

If the existing cushions are foam check to see if the foam is still good or if it needs to be replaced.  If you do have to replace make sure you get a firm enough grade of foam.  An inner lining (of slippery fabric) between the foam and the top cover will make it a lot easier to get the top cover onto the cushion.  Nothing fancy but hand stitch the last seam so as to get it fitting closely and not wrinkled.
Brenda.  My machines are: Caroline a Singer 201K-3 born 1940, Thirza a Featherweight 221K born 1949, Azilia a Singer 201K born 1957 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/

Penabby

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 10:03:39 AM »
Thank you all for your wonderful advice. I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGJa7YPh07I&t=1s Might try something similar to this, for now, it's cheap and a quick fix for the time being until I feel confident to do something a bit more daring. I am looking forward to refurbishing the van, it was a bargain.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2020, 10:22:34 AM »
That looks easy enough.  I would suggest putting the throw on upside down (inside out?), then pinning the corners, then sew and check it fits, then cut off, rather than just cutting the corners off first.
I laid mine out flat and measured, then marked and sewed and cut the corners.  Remember though that if you use fleece, it's very stretchy, I reduced the size of my covers to allow them be stretched when on, but laying them on and then pinning the corners should give you a good fit - if that makes sense!

Penabby

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2020, 10:42:21 AM »
That looks easy enough.  I would suggest putting the throw on upside down (inside out?), then pinning the corners, then sew and check it fits, then cut off, rather than just cutting the corners off first.
I laid mine out flat and measured, then marked and sewed and cut the corners.  Remember though that if you use fleece, it's very stretchy, I reduced the size of my covers to allow them be stretched when on, but laying them on and then pinning the corners should give you a good fit - if that makes sense!

I agree @Bodgeitandscarper, I was thinking of pinning first instead of what she did. Thank you.