The Sewing Place

Immanuels

Tamnymore

Re: Immanuels
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2020, 20:56:29 PM »
That's interesting. There were definitely some £2 pm cottons earlier today. Will check again tomorrow.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ellabella

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2020, 21:29:41 PM »
I’ve just seen some Laura Ashley linens but didn’t dare click on the pics.

Acorn

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2020, 21:33:10 PM »
Nooooooooo........  :o
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Happymrsg

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2020, 22:27:07 PM »
I was thinking of buying some of the £2 cottons as well as viscose & jersey but the cottons have gone.
i loved the lemon print & some of the florals.
i'm still working on scrubs, so its probably for the best  :devil: ;)

Lachica

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2020, 23:26:56 PM »
@Tamnymore that cotton jersey looks nice, is it drapey? There's a different design in that section which I like for a twist front dress so it needs to be thin fabric. I was thinking viscose jersey.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Tamnymore

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2020, 08:21:10 AM »
Yes it is quite drapey @Lachica and is a nice weight. I should say that I'm not 100% sure it is cotton and it may well be viscose as it has a drapier quality more like viscose. I'm a bit undecided about which it is. A burn test shows it is a natural fibre though and it is very good for the price.

annieeg

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2020, 11:42:13 AM »
Should I wash the viscose fabric before I start to cut out?

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2020, 11:45:22 AM »
Should I wash the viscose fabric before I start to cut out?

Definitely!   I wash all mine just in case of shrinkage, to get rid of finish on the fabric and excess dye.  And viscose can really shrink. 

Tamnymore

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2020, 13:14:01 PM »
I wash all fabrics (except for tweeds!!) before I start - you never know how they will behave. Admittedly I've rarely had a problem with shrinkage but there's always a first time. We have lovely drying weather at the mo so not long to wait,

Lachica

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2020, 17:36:37 PM »
Thanks @Tamnymore I'll take a punt on it then. Might have to scroll through to see if any other bargains call to me, got to make the postage worth while :thumbsup:
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ellabella

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2020, 19:14:05 PM »
I sent them a message with my choices last night.

Today they contacted me to get my address and contact details which I sent. Half an hour later I got a photo of the invoice and another picture of their bank details and PayPal info.

I paid by BACS and hopefully 24m of jersey and viscose are on their way. Not bad for £53 inc postage.

Tamnymore

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2020, 21:06:21 PM »
Given that they are obviously very busy they are very efficient. And  the prices are soooo cheap. Even the postage isn't bad - a fiver for posting 24m of goodies. And the parcel will be with you probably on Tuesday.

Efemera

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2020, 08:27:00 AM »
I’m looking forward to going again and having a good rootle around....I love that place, you never know what you’ll find.

BlueCat

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2020, 09:51:00 AM »
Even the postage isn't bad - a fiver for posting 24m of goodies.

They quoted me £6 for delivery, for just 6m!

BrendaP

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2020, 00:18:47 AM »
to order you send them a message on FB with what you want and it's best to add the picture of what you want so there is no doubt. They add up the cost and postage cost and then they msg you back. You give your address details and pay them by bank transfer or paypal. This was all new to me but they are very efficient and my parcels were quick to arrive. There is a minimum order of £15 before p&p

Oh dear @Tamnymore
Some cottons and some viscoses have appeared at £2 a metre.  My fingers just slipped and I've sent them a message asking for some.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.