The Sewing Place

Cropped trousers

Francesca

Re: Cropped trousers
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 17:04:23 PM »
It was less the length and more the curve of it. I know I am not slim, maybe it's just because I'm never up close and personal with that area of slim people ( :[ ) but it seems insanely flat to me.

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 17:40:07 PM »
Yes, I agree - it was the curve I was comparing.  I suspect mine is from a larger size - it is more curved, but not greatly so.  Yours isn't really much more than a line with a slight wiggle! 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

DementedFairy

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2017, 18:26:45 PM »
Ah yes the whole issue of trouser fitting and the rarely-mentioned Lady Lunch.  Quite apart from patterns never being drafted to accommodate bums, bellies and hips, they DEFINITELY never allow room for a generous foo!

I have  a flat bum, but plenty of belly and lunch, the missus has a teeny pot tum, and a curvaceous bum.  We did that goldfish-bowl crotch curve thing with the rolled up tin foil, and it's really interesting [go seek it out on my blog or youtube, it's there somewhere]

It's a good place to start if you know that the crotch curve is where all your problems lie, you can at least lie it on a new pattern and make some initial tweaks to reduce the toile stages.

C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2017, 19:41:19 PM »
Yes, I agree - it was the curve I was comparing.  I suspect mine is from a larger size - it is more curved, but not greatly so.  Yours isn't really much more than a line with a slight wiggle!

It's from the Size 24  :|

Ah yes the whole issue of trouser fitting and the rarely-mentioned Lady Lunch.

0_0 0_0 Lady Lunch has to be my new favourite description. I always call it the FUPA (I'll let you Google that one!)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 19:43:24 PM by Francesca »

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2017, 19:57:25 PM »
It's from the Size 24  :| 
That's really weird!  Mine was from the 22!!!   :S

I found the blog post DF mentioned.   I shall be doing this tomorrow.  Good thing people rarely go past our windows...  :o

Francesca

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2017, 20:02:11 PM »
I think I will too! Haven't got any tinfoil in stock but when I do...

Acorn

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 21:46:27 PM »
I just looked inside my trousers (!!!!) and the front curve is incredibly shallow - much like Francesca's picture.   -<  They're comfy rather than well-fitting, but even so I'm amazed that they fit at all with so little shaping at the front.  They are stretch denim, so I suppose they are rather adaptable, but they show no signs of being under undue stress at the front...

Weird!

BTW, looking at the various sizes of the Barb pattern that I have, I think the initial diagram of the pattern pieces isn't representative of the actual shape of the pieces - which is quite surprising for Style Arc.

DementedFairy

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 22:24:32 PM »
I'm not even going to start talking about combining a fish finger sandwich with a lady lunch.  Ahem.  Bad Fairy, lowering the tone again...
C'est moi!

Puzzler

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2017, 10:06:01 AM »
I did think of asking Mr Acorn whether I have a flat bum, just so that I could see the deer-trapped-in-the-headlights look on his face as he tried to work out the right answer.   ;)

Just like Abe Lincoln's missus but she didn't look too pleased with the answer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNVcbZJsUrE