The Sewing Place

Sewing for children/babies

elisep

Sewing for children/babies
« on: May 15, 2020, 03:58:08 AM »
Not sure if this belongs here or patterns discussion, feel free to move if I'm in the wrong place!

A friend of mine has just announced her pregnancy, she's due in October. Normally for friends I gift a handmade quilt, or my mum's specialty of bibs and muslin wraps.
I'm not really feeling in the mood to make a quilt at the moment, though I might change my mind between now and then! So I'm thinking it might be nice to have a go at something I've never done before, which is children's clothing.
She hasn't announced the gender of the baby yet, I am fairly sure she plans to. If she doesn't, I may just have to go with a gender-neutral quilt.

Well, as a childless person who is not really into babies, I'm not quite sure whether clothing is something I can gift at a baby shower (or birth if she doesn't have a shower). What I was thinking of what a couple of little dresses or even dress/bloomer sets if it's a girl, perhaps some overalls for a boy?
I think most babies these days are put in onesies when they are newborn, but not really sure what mums like to put babies in once they're a little older?
Would I be better off waiting till baby's first birthday and gifting clothing at that stage?
I'd also love to make a little coat for the baby (only because I think they're flipping adorable), it would be 9 months old by the time winter rolled around, is that an appropriate age for a coat?

As you can see, I've no idea  :[

Also, feel free to suggest any recommendations for cute baby/children's patterns.
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Missie

Re: Sewing for children/babies
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 09:52:49 AM »
If you are going to do clothing, I would aim for 6-9/9-12 months age.  With all three of mine, I was in undated with clothes in the earlier sizes (when they spend most of the time in onesies) but nothing in the older ranges, when they need proper clothes, although it is nice to have a couple of nice outfits in the little sizes in case of having to dress them up properly.  Yes they need coats, whatever the age.  In my opinion, if it is a girl, avoid pink.  That is all you can buy in the shops (or at least over here) for little girls and it drove me mad as I am not a pink girl myself.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 12:00:13 PM »
I haven't done much in the way of making baby/children's clothes, but I would say, when deciding what to make and in what sizes, bear in mind the season that the child will be wearing it in. It won't be any good making a furry winter coat if it only fits the child in the summer.

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 13:35:23 PM »
At the risk of being controversial I would say don`t make a quilt to go over the baby.  I know lots of people do, and they look beautiful but my experience is that young mums now don`t use them.  My grandson is nearly 18months and still sleeps in a sort of all-in-one thing as he kicks off all coverings.  Similarly, don`t make any sort of garment that requires careful washing and ironing or it will only be worn once or twice. Busy mums like jersey clothes that can be shoved in the washing machine and not ironed.
You can spend a lot of time and money making something beautiful and it won`t be used.

Personally I think some sort of play mat/changing mat is much more useful (possibly quilted it that is your thing)

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 13:47:40 PM »
I think @sewingj is right.  As I understand it quilts as coverings are not recommended for under 2 year olds these days.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 13:57:45 PM »
Quilts are used as 'playmats'.  To be put on the floor as a clean surface upon which the baby can be laid to allow more freedom to kick about than in the pram/buggie/crib
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 13:58:50 PM »
It's difficult to know what to sew if you don't know the gender, maybe that's why knitted items are popular new baby gifts.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sheilago

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 17:11:12 PM »
I often make shaped burp cloths with nicely patterned flannel and terry towelling for baby showers. You can make nice coordinating sets. I also make one or two rectangular change mat liners, which are useful for tiny babies. You can even make little face flannels with the left over little squares. Or there are cute designs online for making hooded bath towels out of normal bath towels. All these can be gender neutral more easily than clothes. I also make storage bags for keeping baby items or toys in. All these things are very well received by mums.

mudcat

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 17:46:56 PM »
When I still lived in Oregon where the weather was often cooler I used to make flannel "blankets" using cute child friendly prints.  Since it was rare to find two sided flannel I would double them up (right sides together, turned out and hem stitched).  That way both sides had the soft flannel side.  If I remember correctly I just did them in squares based on whatever the width of the fabric was (40"-44").  Everyone who got them really liked them because they were bigger than the typical receiving blankets that people used. 

elisep

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 06:38:53 AM »
Thanks everyone for your input!

I agree with the quilts being used as playmats, the ones I have gifted before definitely end up being used that way. Which is fine with me, how they chose to use them is absolutely fine with me! Just not sure that I am up for making a quilt right now.

Hopefully she will announce the gender soon, if not I'll go with the backup of muslin wraps and bibs! I'm secretly hoping for a girl so I can make some pretty dresses (ok, not in pink @Missie0_0
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

Bogwoppit

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 09:34:59 AM »
I started sewing when my first was little. The things I used the most were bibs and reversible trousers (straight wideish legs so rolled up to fit and adjustable waist).
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Sewbusy

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 10:26:41 AM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  Although being from a somewhat older generation, it doesn't stop me from appreciating and understanding that many of today's mums prefer babygrow type outfits. They're practical in many respects, are quite flexible size wise compared to woven garments and also convenient for wearing when babies and young children are so often transported in car seats etc.

When my children were born you didn't leave the house until the midwife 'signed you off' and babies were usually clothed in nightgowns, far more practical for checking if a nappy needed changing and performing that task.

A couple of weeks ago on a Facebook group there was a post with photos where someone had made some of these gowns and she was inundated with requests for the pattern she had used. She'd actually bought an old gown and used it for a pattern.

I have such a pattern for a similar gown, but it is far from a utility item. Made from cotton batiste with a cotton lawn lining with underskirt. Beautiful embroidery design to the bodice area and to complete the ensemble is a matinee jacket with satin piped binding to Peter Pan collar and sleeves with further matching embroidery to the collar and cuffs.

It is beautiful and something that could be treasured and handed down as are christening gowns.

In an earlier time I cared for a newborn and one of the gifts the parents received was very similar was from a prominent member of our royal family.

Neither of my daughters had children so I've never made the pattern up but I still think of doing so.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 10:32:49 AM by Sewbusy »