The Sewing Place

Oxford dictionary of family names in Britain and Ireland

UttaRetch

Oxford dictionary of family names in Britain and Ireland
« on: May 15, 2020, 17:59:36 PM »
I heard about this rather than saw it on BBC Radio 4.  Until 21 May, Oxford dictionaries are providing FREE access to the database for people to check the origins of their family name.  The site won't load for me probably because everyone is busily looking or are also trying to gain access.

sleepingwolf

Re: Oxford dictionary of family names in Britain and Ireland
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 20:56:47 PM »
I've been trying unsuccessfully too.  We're probably getting in each other's way!  :D

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 21:48:18 PM »
My family name is a commonplace one that is Welsh in origin.

Vezelay

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 23:26:27 PM »
It's working now. Interesting, thanks.

Kwaaked

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 23:36:24 PM »
My married name is English, German and Czech depending on where you were from and what meaning is applied.  So you can be a deformity/scar on the cheek/jaw, from Czechoslovakia or no name peasant class.   

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 00:28:15 AM »
Waltzed right in. Two of the names, Mitchell and Reynolds are so common they might as well be Smith and Jones. Third grand parent was a Bowes. Family story during mom's childhood was somehow related to the late Queen Mother. My actual surname turns out to be very rare and from county Mayo as family legend had it. Also an English place I've not heard of as well as a place in southern France.

Thank you for the 15 minute distraction. Would have been 10 but slow to load.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

datcat23

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 01:53:44 AM »
LOL, just went for a short cruise through the site for a laugh.  Results as expected.

Hubby's name is rare as ...... 196 currently in GB, about 90 in 1881 - centred around the midlands.  His family history is that they come from a village north of leeds with the same name.   

My family name by contrast - Jarvis ...... is as common as muck ... 19000 currently, and "widespread" in 1881  >:)
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

WendyW

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 04:27:01 AM »
I would love to do this for hubby's family, but we don't know their name prior to their coming to the US. We know they were kicked out of Ireland and came from Cork County, but they changed their name to Cork when they arrived, and there is no record of their previous name.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 07:10:16 AM »
I would love to do this for hubby's family, but we don't know their name prior to their coming to the US. We know they were kicked out of Ireland and came from Cork County, but they changed their name to Cork when they arrived, and there is no record of their previous name.

@WendyW don't you just love the juicy family tidbits, like being kicked out of Ireland? My dad's family it is being excommunicated from (I assume) the Catholic church. I'm not talking one person but the whole lot of them. Unfortunately the "why" was not passed down. Instead just a touch of contempt for organized religion.

There were apparently a few rogues and scoundrels here and there, a mercenary or two and some oil wildcatters. Then the two that rode with Pancho Villa.

We're all pretty dull these days in comparison.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 09:14:27 AM »
like being kicked out of Ireland? My dad's family it is being excommunicated from (I assume) the Catholic church. I'm not talking one person but the whole lot of them. Unfortunately the "why" was not passed down. Instead just a touch of contempt for organized religion.

My (married) surname is just the opposite!  Paternoster = Latin for Our Father and goes back to the start of surnames in England; they either chanted of prayers for someone's soul or they made/sold the rosaries to go with the prayers.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 09:38:04 AM »
My married name is Johnson. I once read that it is the 10th commonest name in England. I was born Hill which is not a lot better. Neither is helpful when doing family research. I was once searching the Familysearch website though for the marriage of one of my ancestors and I came across the surname Hogsflesh. Fortunately it didn't turn out to be one of mine but I was intrigued. I searched some more and came up with a whole list of them. One was a double-barrelled name - Hogsflesh-Bacon.

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 11:34:34 AM »
I searched some more and came up with a whole list of them. One was a double-barrelled name - Hogsflesh-Bacon.
That made me burst out laughing.  Just as well I wasn't drinking anything.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 11:58:42 AM »
I must see if I can find mine on there.  My maiden name was Hawnt.  And I believe anyone in the country with that name is related.  My first husband was Puddephatt so it didn’t get any better.  I’m now Vaughan, so nice and easy. 

Greybird

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 12:12:44 PM »
It is nice to have a name that you don't have to keep spelling every time. My first married name was Hayward which people variously spelled Heyward, Haywood, Harwood and Heywood. If you also live in a place that needs spelling it can be very tedious!

sleepingwolf

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2020, 12:29:38 PM »
My grandmother's name was Wileman which is quite rare and even now mostly found in the Leicestershire/Derbyshire/ Staffordshire area.  I was glad to find the first sensible suggestion for the derivation of the name as this has so far eluded us. 

The sister of one of my ancestors married a man called Caleb Cakebread which was my favourite discovery until I found another relative married one Philomen Snutch.