The Sewing Place

Hornpipe costume

Oakmaiden

Hornpipe costume
« on: May 08, 2017, 20:17:18 PM »
Ok, I have been asked to make a hornpipe costume.  I was planning to use this pattern (see below) but the only stockist I can find only has very large or very small sizes in stock.

Now, whilst I could grade the pattern up or down, I would prefer if I am spending £££ on a pattern to get one the size I actually need. 

Does anyone have any ideas: where else I can buy the pattern (in the UK) or of another similar pattern I can use/adapt?

Thanks.

DementedFairy

Re: Hornpipe costume
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 20:43:36 PM »
Boy or girl, and what size?
C'est moi!

Oakmaiden

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 21:28:29 PM »
Girl and 34 bust... 

Am I being a bit wet?  Should I just draft my own pattern?

DementedFairy

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 03:54:22 AM »
Sailor collars are pretty straightforward [and I dodge drafting wherever possible], the basic shape is a straightforward boxy tunic.  You may find a 'middy blouse' pattern from a historical site, they're very common.  I should think any old drawstring/elastic waist trousers would be fine.
C'est moi!

Oakmaiden

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 19:20:17 PM »
The trousers don't worry me - but I think the dancer would probably prefer a slightly fitted tunic - and most of the ones for sale have a zip up front...

I'm going to have to put together a toile, aren't I?

Oakmaiden

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 12:50:34 PM »
Aha!  I reckon this:

but a bit longer and with long sleeves, plus a pair of slightly modified pyjama bottoms.

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 14:33:30 PM »
That should be fine - does it have to go into wardrobe for future use? If so I think I'd alter the front to include  CF seam and that will give more potential alteration room. (Or is it only me who has to alter everything every year?)
\
Also don't forget  avoid a low crotch for the trousers or else you have inhibited movement - same goes for the arms of the tunic really. Low armhole inhibits movement above shoulder height.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 14:36:04 PM by Catllar »
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !