The Sewing Place

Using my giant fabric stash/collection/resources

Renegade Sewist

Re: Using my giant fabric stash/collection/resources
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2020, 10:43:37 AM »
Right, who is going to fess up exactly how much they have stashed away?

@Kwaaked can probably tell you hers as I know it was inventoried. Mine? I can't count that high but certainly way more than I'll ever use.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Ellabella

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2020, 10:52:35 AM »
Right, who is going to fess up exactly how much they have stashed away?

That would take far too long to count.  :D

Acorn

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2020, 12:23:36 PM »
That is a secret known only to me and my sewing room.  And I only have a vague idea.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Nevis5

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2020, 13:05:41 PM »
Crikey I daren't look!  It scares me!  Haha!  But it has been nice being able to just pick out various treasures to make up during this weird time.  However, I DO seem to be missing a few fabric orders which may or may not be en route - just can't stop buying more  :S

I have the Closet Case pouffe pattern too and a bag of scraps to make it with but haven't got to it yet.  I keep having to dive into the bin bag full of scraps for bits of leftover cotton for masks, annoyingly.  :D

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2020, 16:57:14 PM »
I have no idea how much fabric I have and I shall not be spending time measuring it when I could be sewing!

Bunting looked OK when I put it up but double sided sticky tape is not suitable it turns out, and it gradually all fell down.
I think I like it better without so will leave it down.

mudcat

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2020, 18:02:06 PM »
I did an inventory of my fabric on Textillia a couple years ago.  At the time I had 130 lengths I believe.  I've placed a few orders since and made a few things but I'm guessing it's closer to 140 lengths now.  That doesn't count my quilting cotton stash which I would not want to count.  In spite of making a lot of things with the quilting cotton it just doesn't seem to go down. It also doesn't count my two bins of PFD fabric that I'll be dyeing in the future.

I'm a lot more careful about buying fabric now because I had four times as much back in 2008.  I gave a bunch away to the fashion design school here and then I gave a bunch to a friend's niece who had gone to fashion design school and wanted to start a fashion line.   For the longest time I didn't regret giving it away but lately I kind of do. 

Kwaaked

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2020, 18:59:44 PM »
I DID inventory my fabric, and I have a bar code system to add/remove fabrics.

Do you really want to know?
Spoiler: show

I have 5,106 yards of personal fabric, of which I need to go through and will lose about 1500-2000 to fabric I won't use (it almost doubled when my mom died)
In work fabric:
846 yards of bridal satins in ivory, white, champagne, 2 pinks and silver in rolls.  I also have 104 yards in other colors in small lengths (2-6 yard cuts)
167 yards of upholstery fabrics, most leftover from projects, a few are jobs that the shutdown caused a delay (the 1-4 yards left, and including the 85 for projects)
All other fabrics including interfacing, and those total 243.
Muslin is 2 rolls of 500 each.  I JUST got those in the day before I closed.

Helen M

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2020, 19:45:10 PM »
Not wishing to enable anyone BUT we will be in a recession, and if it follows all the others that I've lived through quality and availabilty of fabric, clothing and a lot of other things becomes vastly poorer. So hold on to anything that holds a possibility of being made up if it's good quality..........
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2020, 20:03:46 PM »
"Helen said to keep it." Works for me!  :toast:

Acorn

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2020, 21:52:16 PM »
Me too.  Consider it done @Helen M  :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kwaaked

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2020, 00:02:46 AM »
Me, too @Helen M

I have also mentioned I am a conspiracy theorist, so the whole idea of getting rid of the fabric I don't like/lower quality then I wanted/expected goes against the doom and gloom of that culture.  Plus I can sew when we get hit with an EMP, so I don't need to stop sewing now, tomorrow or the end of the world.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2020, 06:11:36 AM »
Me, too @Helen M

I have also mentioned I am a conspiracy theorist, so the whole idea of getting rid of the fabric I don't like/lower quality then I wanted/expected goes against the doom and gloom of that culture.  Plus I can sew when we get hit with an EMP, so I don't need to stop sewing now, tomorrow or the end of the world.

OH has commented that when the Zombie Apocalypse hits we can survive by hiding in the fabric.  :ninja:

Years ago I had a treadle machine, victrola with great disk collection for it, butter churn and spinning wheel. Of course a couple of looms. I was prepared for many possibilities.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2020, 08:44:06 AM »
@SewRuthieSews I know you've decided to leave your bunting down for now but if you do decide to use it again try self-adhesive Velcro.

Gernella

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2020, 10:10:28 AM »
I wander how much there there is $/£s.  Must be a small fortune between us all. I was actually looking for something I could use as a contrasting fabric the other day, and came across a piece that I don't even remember buying, it was a nice plum colour as well, the colour spectrum that I like.

I keep saying no more until I've made a dent, but you get an email of the new fabrics in and away I go.  Sometimes it's a  relief that there is nothing in colours I like.  Trouble is the place I normally go to does't hold a big supply of each fabric, they like a rapid turnover, so if you see something  you like, wise to buy or next time you look it's gone.

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2020, 13:30:23 PM »
Ok, lets have a bit less ruminating on the size of the stash and a bit more sewing!

what have you made this week?