The Sewing Place

Using my giant fabric stash/collection/resources

SewRuthieSews

Using my giant fabric stash/collection/resources
« on: May 16, 2020, 14:34:18 PM »
Whilst I know fabric can be bought online, I thought my existing fabric resources were sufficient to get me through many months without buying anything new.

I had some twill tape and small bits of fabric I made into bunting for VE day. I day say I was better resourced than the folks who made the original VE day bunting.

I am part way through turning an old duvet cover into fixed blinds for my conservatory.
(The conservatory is quite tired and has views one side down into my neighbours back yard where they hang their washing and let the dog out. Its amazing how much better it looks with a bit of a clean)
I go and sit in there now after I've finished working at home all day. Its great to hear the birds and sit in the sunshine.
(If I can work out a way to attach to UPVC I will hang the bunting round the edge of the conservatory.)

I have made several fabric face masks (had all the components in already for the pleated style I am making as per BrendaP's instructions). And will be making some more this weekend.

And I am sure I could sew a whole load of other things as the fancy strikes me!
I have loads of patterns, magazines, threads, buttons, zips etc too.

What have you found you already had that has proved useful already?

Have you found things that have given you an idea for a project?

annieeg

Re: Using my giant fabric stash/collection/resources
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 14:43:54 PM »
@SewRuthieSews like you I have a stash of stuff including 4mm elastic for masks,
Muslin for lining masks,  thickish cotton Japanese kimono which I'm going to turn into two tabards, and enough fabric and patterns to last me for the next several years.
I haven't had to buy anything sewing wise out of need, but I did indulge in buying some fabric and a couple of vintage patterns. :ninja:

Starryfish

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 15:00:47 PM »
I am thinking of making a Closet Case giant pouffe, I have some moleskin fabric in two shades of green, as well as a reddish brown cushion velvet. It wouldn't go with the house decor but I would like it as a scrap store.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 19:34:05 PM »
I am thinking of making a Closet Case giant pouffe, I have some moleskin fabric in two shades of green, as well as a reddish brown cushion velvet. It wouldn't go with the house decor but I would like it as a scrap store.

It wouldn't go with the decor but I would like it as a scrap store.

:o  :hug:  :toast: OMG! Brilliant. So then are you making this with a zipper somewhere so you can use this as brilliant hidden scrap storage? You'd still have access to them and could stuff more in. I like the idea.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 19:48:02 PM »
Ah @SewRuthieSews I probably have enough suitable fabric to accommodate everyone who posts on TSP today for their next several projects. I managed to cut a few things for the 6PAC then floundered. Still no sewing area set up and so much else vying for my attention that I get my sewing fix vicariously through Peeps like you.  :hug:

I've been watching far too much Korean drama of late. Must read the subtitles so can't do anything else.

As for ordering online, well, hmm, I'm expecting two parcels from Bluprint this week. I've been so successful doing nothing with what I bought from them at the New Year that I bought more. I've changed my tack and this has all been precuts. Each has been 2 or 3 charm square packs and a yard or three of coordinating fabric. I have a hankering to make pinwheel blocks.

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 20:22:34 PM »
I have enough stash... fabric, habby and everything else to last my lifetime... I need never go shopping again..... like that’s going to happen!

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 20:49:48 PM »
I certainly have enough, one would think, bit I did have a cull at the start of lockdown & got rid of bits that were too small for masks. Last week I had a request from GD, aged 3, for a handbag. Like her mum's. Adult version has 6 zips :S. It had to have proper handles as well as a shoulderstrap and be 'nude' or pale creamy pink. I found a cream faux suede cushion cover, years old. Painted it 'mellow mocha' same as hall walls. This also made it stiff. A bit of polycotton for lining plus 2 zips which had migrated from my mum's stash to mine. Metal rings salvaged from a swimming cozzie decades ago. 4 metal rose beads bought a couple of years ago. It went in the post yesterday. Unfortunately it hasn't made much of a dent in the stash.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  msg=175054]
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 21:17:28 PM »
And the first parcel, due Monday or Tuesday, is on the porch now. FedEx driver must be a sprinter. I was 10 feet from the door and no one was there after ringing the bell. Now I'll never know if they were wearing a mask or gloves.

It also has a tortilla press with the fabric.  :loveit: Still waiting on more fabric and a kit for making fresh Mexican cheeses. Eating is big on my activity list right now.  :S

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 21:29:10 PM »
@Lachica  that bag is fantastic,  :loveit:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

mudcat

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 21:53:16 PM »
Realistically, I have enough fabric to last at least 10 years.  Also plenty of notions, patterns, thread, etc.  Not sure if it will last a lifetime because that is an unknown quantity. 

I have no grand ideas on what to make though in order of need it will be swimming attire followed by dresses.  I'm also looking at finishing some UFOs and even doing some repairs/modifications which is my least favorite thing to do in the sewing room.

Vezelay

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 21:59:52 PM »
@Lachica I love your bag - but did you actually paint the cushion cover its made from? I'm intrigued!

Lachica

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 22:44:26 PM »
@BrendaP @Vezelay thanks! Yes, I did paint it! Tried a corner first, just in case. This is Dulux Matt hard wearing emulsion, I worked it well into the fabric & dried it in the sun. It did go a bit crunchy but didn't crack or peel when I turned the bag through. I didn't have any stiff interfacing so this saved waiting for a delivery as well as being the correct colour. I don't think it'll be very hard wearing - no good for an adult's bag - but I expect GD will get fed up of it before it wears out.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Starryfish

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 23:20:52 PM »
@Renegade Sewist , yes it has a zip so you can access the interior and take out/add stuff!
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 09:14:20 AM »
Wow @Lachica the bag looks great, impressive use of materials (fabric, paint, haby etc).

I'll share some pics of my duvet cover blinds (well fabric panels really as they don't roll up) later on.

I've also been thinking about some small scrap projects, and I found a simple idea for coasters I quite liked plus another for simple zipped pouches.

Gernella

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 09:24:36 AM »
Right, who is going to fess up exactly how much they have stashed away? 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included