The Sewing Place

Trousers, slight stretch?

annierose

Trousers, slight stretch?
« on: May 16, 2020, 17:56:12 PM »
Hello all, I am about a size 20 US / 24 UK - but as we know, that doesn't tell the whole story! Recent spinal surgery has left me shorter, and a sense that I have 'changed shape'. Certainly my old trousers don't fit properly - it's not just a question of taking up the legs a bit, my truck has changed as well!
As I needed to be away from the machine, I bought a couple of pairs of leggings. They do suit me well, and the stretch means I don't have to worry about the fit so much. I downloaded the Cashmerette leggings pattern, made up a trial set and was pleased with them.
I have had tucked away, for 2-3 years some lovely linen fabric with lycra (but I'm not sure how much!). It doesn't stretch enough for the Cashmerette pattern (it only goes about halfway to the 'stretch' mark).
So......could I try making the next size up? or even 2 sizes up?
Or should I wait until I can put the time and effort into a complete trouser re-make?

Thanks for any advice!

Ohsewsimple

Re: Trousers, slight stretch?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 22:49:59 PM »
No it’s for a knit fabric so I wouldn’t use a woven even with some stretch.  Use a knit. 
A woven pattern will be comfy with the small amount of stretch in the fabric. 

annierose

Re: Trousers, slight stretch?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 08:30:53 AM »
Thank you, that is a very good point (feeling rather daft that I didn't think of it!)
Back into my stash it goes until I can sort out a trouser toile!