The Sewing Place

Precious patterns

snoozi soozi

Precious patterns
« on: May 17, 2020, 13:54:15 PM »
Every so often I have a clear-out of my patterns, and either offer them to the one sewist friend I have, offer them up on here or donate to charity. I have quite a few as I receive some with my monthly sewing mag.

Realistically I stick to about 10 patterns that are old faithfulls and cover all garments I need to make. The rest are, quite frankly, a waste of money  :faints:

How many garment patterns do you have that you would save in a fire, and how many could burn, baby burn?  0_0

apologies to anyone who thought this was the name of pattern manufacturer's
 :|
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Celia

Re: Precious patterns
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 14:08:46 PM »
I so agree, if only I would listen to myself and stick to my favourite patterns and tweak them to my requirements I would be a much happier sewer, maybe I should make myself dispose of all the collected patterns I do not need.
I have a favourite dress, straight with sleeves
Pants that fit   Why do I keep trying others?
A self drafted skirt and a summer dress
About 3 top patterns that work

I hate fancy clothes on me so why do I keep trying

I also have the same problem with cake recipes

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 14:17:48 PM »
@Celia as I was reading your post I was thinking 'sounds like my mum with her recipes!'. Then I got to the end!  0_0 0_0 0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 14:27:22 PM »
My (shockingly large) stock of pdf patterns has a real advantage here, because if they were lost ina  fire I could just re-download them!

My top pattern is StyleArc's Kim, followed by StyleArc's Jules (a recent addition, and I have only made one - and that's a (wearable) toile - but I LOVE it).  Then there's a pattern that was originally based on Lekala 4517, but now looks just like StyleArc Harlow - it fits and flatters me incredibly well.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 14:35:42 PM »
I keep trying new stuff.... don’t know why I bother... I just go back to the old faithfuls.
I’ve come to the conclusion I don’t need that many clothes... just something decent to slob around in.

annieeg

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 14:52:14 PM »
@Acorn I checked out the Jules pattern and it is indeed a nice looking tunic so I bought the PDFs version.  luckily the free pattern is the Maddison top which I like so I got that as a bonus :D

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 14:56:13 PM »
This post is defeating the object!. :facepalm:.... now I need to go and buy the Jules top pattern......

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 15:01:49 PM »
I was always telling my students to stop buying patterns.  They frequently bought ones that were almost identical to what they had.  I think we all know what we feel comfortable in and stick to something along those lines.  It was quite an eye opener when I showed them how to alter necklines, sleeves, add openings and move darts.  Bonus being the original had already been fitted so the 'new pattern' was easy to make. 
I often see something I like and then stop and realise that I have patterns that fit so just alter them to get the required elements.   

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 16:57:21 PM »
I've a bad habit of buying stuff because I like the picture, but in the cold light of day later, I realise that the top of my arms should be covered (pattern not designed for sleeves would spoil it) or  tall and willowy and I am not tall or willowy. 

If I could move my backside I would get rid of them, it would make it far easier when sorting through when looking for something and just feeling bad when I do see them and know it will never be. And yes many are near identical just given a tweak, nuther model and pattern number.

Old faithfulls are very well used, and only left when I find another one that is more or less the same. Since Sew Today changed website (still mangy), I have gone elsewhere if I needed one and not got silly because there is money off,  if you wait they generally come cheaper.

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 17:07:15 PM »
I don't have a lot of patterns and reckon I could grab the collection and run out.  However, there are probably other things I would prioritise over the patterns.

jintie

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 17:18:57 PM »
Sounds like we all have too many unused patterns. How about folks describing the style and size they want, and peeps like me posting them out?
I would do it free in the UK.
 :)
Rottweiler with scissors

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 17:22:50 PM »
I'm a coat pattern fanatic and like 'fit and flare' with a waist seam.  What do you have?  :D

jintie

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 17:46:32 PM »
I have wide shoulders, narrow hips, not much definition in between. Nothing springs to mind.
Rottweiler with scissors

mudcat

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2020, 17:52:57 PM »
I wouldn't bother to save any patterns in a fire.  I'd just re-download the ones I could and re-buy any I couldn't live without.  The only reason I have so many patterns is the ease of buying pdf even though I dislike taping anything more than about 20 pages.  I've also bought too many vogue when they're cheap but with the new pricing structure it's unlikely I'll be buying anymore of them.

We'd save the cat and each other before stuff since nearly everything can be replaced.

Helen M

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2020, 18:25:30 PM »
This post is defeating the object!. :facepalm:.... now I need to go and buy the Jules top pattern......

Me too, I had it on my list when there last was a sale on and forgot.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55