The Sewing Place

What is a potted motor? (Singer 201 and Singer 15)

Roger

What is a potted motor? (Singer 201 and Singer 15)
« on: May 17, 2020, 14:38:21 PM »
 Hi All,

I thought I'd do this in case you havent encountered a potted motor before.

These are a little niche and are an early direct drive, so there is a gear rather than a belt and the wiring is more internal.

I have a 201 with a potted motor so I'll show you the important external differences:
First is the front... Notice the built the light that is on the front of the machine, the wiring goes through the machine.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Second is the back:
notice the cute little bump on the back with a decal on the top - thats the motor.

Internally there is a worm gear that is driven by the motor, and drives the machine directly - so even by 201 standards these machines are supposed to be exceptionally smooth and have strong penetration because theres no belt to slip or lose traction with.

Also there are 2 tubes at the back (with large screms over them) that have wicks in them the wicks transport lube to the work gear. the best lube for this is vaseline or petroleum jelly. The lube need to melt as the machine gets hot for the wick to work and modern lubes are too stable.

These wicks usually need replacing (mine were hard, gummed up and black) - Sew Classic in the USA has the wicking material
The electrics on these machine - are very worth checking and getting PAT tested as they are internal on a cast iron machine.. Shocking!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

KayK

Re: What is a potted motor? (Singer 201 and Singer 15)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 15:11:06 PM »
Always makes me think of potted shrimps when I see this term!

However I too have a 201k with a knee operation which I would love to have converted into a foot pedal (causes no end of confusion when I move to the other machines with a foot pedal and a knee lift!)
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Renegade Sewist

Re: What is a potted motor? (Singer 201 and Singer 15)
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 06:15:56 AM »
I was going to make a quip about the Singer's been drinking again.  :vintage:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.