The Sewing Place

Embroidered border fabric top

Bodgeitandscarper

Embroidered border fabric top
« on: May 22, 2020, 11:19:04 AM »
I'm still pondering on this, but I reckon I have it cracked.

I was inspired by this

For this fabric

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

using the edge along the bottom edge, but I've now realised I don't have enough "edge" for my edge.

So, Plan B - use the edge along where the button flappy bit is on the pic, and along one of the edges of the seam that runs from the neck to the hem.  I just need to work out which side of that seam to put it...  This means off grain pieces, so I'm inclined to put it on the smaller right hand piece, overlapping the left with the flappy bit.  Do you think that will look right?  I think it will, as with the diagonal seam it will in effect be hanging down -ish.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 11:34:20 AM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Efemera

Re: Embroidered border fabric top
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 12:09:14 PM »
Could you not just have it along the bottom edge at the front, then maybe enough to do something on the sleeve ends?

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 12:12:52 PM »
My thoughts are that the lovely embroidery will fight with all the detail on that pattern.  Use a plain, or small all over design for that pattern and use the embroidered fabric for something less detailed to allow the embroidery to stand out.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 18:30:35 PM »
Oh, now I think you've put me off, just when I thought I'd got it sorted...

The top was going to be sleeveless if that makes any difference? No?  And the flappy bit won't have buttons...

jen

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 07:23:28 AM »
I like the fabric and the inspiration garment. I'd probably go for it, throwing caution to the winds. Other idea, find some plain grey to mix with it, yoke and sleeves if used.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 09:37:16 AM »
Thanks @jen , my current thinking is use the border where the button flap is, and also on the back hem, that may not be too much border then.

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 09:39:34 AM »
I had thought button band and front hem but back would work too. Looking forward to seeing this. There are some very nice details.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 09:45:02 AM »
@wrenkins that's just a pic I found, not a pattern, and my top will just use the seams like the front of that, and no sleeves. If only I could find that top again on the Floryday website, I might take a risk and order it, despite the weeks and weeks shipping time! 

Edit - and I'll be doing the pocket, I love that pocket!

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 10:20:46 AM »
 0_0 Pocket's a delight!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!