The Sewing Place

Quilting pieced jellyroll

Vezelay

Re: Quilting pieced jellyroll
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 16:06:49 PM »
Thanks @Iminei , I think you must have missed my last post re the stitch length. My friend wants to do squiggles rather than wiggles (all these technical quilting terms! :) so I shall leave her to it.

When she bought the machine two years ago she had no notions of quilting anything so she'll probably upgrade at some point - don't we all?

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 17:07:15 PM »
Once you've summoned the courage to do squiggles it's great fun!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sara-S

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2020, 11:42:14 AM »
It could also be fun to do your squiggly sewing with variegated thread.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Vezelay

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2020, 21:16:02 PM »
I'll tell my friend that @Sara-S - at the risk of her never speaking to me again :)

Sara-S

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2020, 22:10:54 PM »
I'll tell my friend that @Sara-S - at the risk of her never speaking to me again :)
Does she have something against variegated thread?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Vezelay

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2020, 22:34:51 PM »
@Sara-S no, I doubt she's even heard of it. But after she went and ordered the jelly roll, backing fabric and batting from three different online suppliers (don't ask but lockdown was involved in this) I daren't suggest any further purchases. Hopefully she's busy quilting away - haven't heard in a few days.

My way would be to have everything planned and ready in advance. Hers is to take one step at a time. She didn't think about needle and thread choice until she was about to quilt so is using what she has in - ie Gutermann sew-all and a universal needle. Wouldn't be my choice but then I didn't make my one and only quilt in the middle of a pandemic!

Bjay

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2020, 17:15:12 PM »
This had brought up lots of questions from me. My Janome - 18 months old - leaves a lot to be desired - rubbish on block thickness, can't get a long stitch but does have lot a of decorative stitches most of which are no use for quilting
It came with  quilt kit so I do have a 1/4 ins foot, stitch in ditch foot, walking foot but not a freemotion foot (not that I think it would cope with such a thing.
Next - I do change needle before each project but does size matter?

I have been pondering an upgrade but it would have to wait until I can talk to people who know what they are talking about if I do it

PS love variegated thread
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Bjay

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2020, 18:42:00 PM »
Well this made me think and I have had a brief experiment on my Janome 200 QDC

I found that the best wavey pattern was Mode 1 no, 98 on  long stitch length.

Quite pleased with that as I could use that on something
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 18:44:36 PM by Bjay »

Deafoldbat

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2020, 20:26:23 PM »
@Bjay Do you have a darning foot? That will work for fmq. The needle size matters in that you need a large enough eye for the thickness of the thread. If you're using a 40wt quilting thread, try a size 90 (quilting) needle.

Bjay

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2020, 20:31:30 PM »
Thanks for that - will write it down n my little book as it will be a while until I quilt