The Sewing Place

Quilting pieced jellyroll

Vezelay

Quilting pieced jellyroll
« on: May 20, 2020, 14:13:40 PM »
Asking for a novice quilter friend. She has pieced the front something like this
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
and thinks stitch in the ditch would be boring. She could do free motion but can you suggest any good alternatives? It's 70x58".
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 14:15:36 PM by Vezelay »

Iminei

Re: Quilting pieced jellyroll
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 14:17:04 PM »
Yup  ..... Get the widest Serpentine stitch on her machine and stitch in the centre of each strip

OR

From Dead centre stitch out in a star shap ... ie Horizontal, vertical, 45 degrees and so on and so on ...

How big is it, that might be a factor?

Why doesnt she join?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Vezelay

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 14:42:37 PM »
It's 70 X 68" @Iminei. What's a Serpentine stitch? Do I have one?

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 14:44:59 PM »
Serpentine stitch is brilliant. I used it on my bugmugrugs set to longest and widest and it's very effective and dead easy.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Vezelay

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 14:52:22 PM »
Is no.42 it?

Like this? That's the widest, longest it will go - too small surely?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 15:00:33 PM by Vezelay »

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 15:09:21 PM »
Mine's a bit less out and in than that but still wider than a straight line.  0_0  Quilting is small. That's why you have to do lots of it.  :( Each of those strips is only 2" wide so that would cover a fair bit of them.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 08:42:11 AM »
I think thats more of a hemming stitch ... a sepentine stitch will look like a wavy line ... a calm day at sea ... that one looks like a storm at sea ... but as with most stitches you can alter the width and length to produce a different looking stitch...

Your machine is a Janome yes ?

Looking at my handbook the serpentine stitch is listed under Quilting stitches (Page 51 of my handbook)
and is Number 11  ...

Take some gash cotton make a small quilt sandwich (ie front, wadding, back) and practice with different lengths and widths ... The Splurgess can go up to 9 mm width, yours will probably only do 7 mm

Make a note of the settings as you go and then you can choose the one you like the best.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 08:55:40 AM »
I have found that often the higher end/ more expensive a machine is the bigger and wider some stitches are. Especially if it's considered a quilting machine.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Vezelay

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 10:14:02 AM »
There's no serpentine stitch on my Janome then. It's not a quilting model, nor is my friend's. That's Ok as she has decided to do a free motion wavy squiggles pattern (not the official Darksiders' term I'm sure  :)). It's good to know about other options though. I found this YouTube tutorial interesting for possible future use https://youtu.be/e_5fzw2XzTc

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 10:20:51 AM »
I find that hard to believe @Vezelay Its a really basic stitch ....  Which model do you have?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:23:24 AM by Iminei »

Pearl

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 11:19:21 AM »
The serpentine stitch is 42 on my Janome.

That's Ok as she has decided to do a free motion wavy squiggles pattern (not the official Darksiders' term I'm sure  :)).

Good choice, friend of Vezelay.  I like squiggly quilting on a quilt with lots of straight piecing.

Vezelay

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 13:06:11 PM »
@Pearl 42 is the one I used in my earlier sample that @Iminei said looked more like a hemming stitch. I agree it doesn't  look quite like a Serpentine but it's the only one on my machine resembling it.

My Janome is the DXL603.

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 13:51:28 PM »
Can you lengthen the wiggles on stitch 42? 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Vezelay

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 14:40:11 PM »
Can you lengthen the wiggles on stitch 42?

No, that's the length at max -  2.5. Lowering the width to about 3 gives a gentler curve but I think it's just too small all round for a quilt. Mug rug yes.

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 14:41:47 PM »
Just looked at the manual for the DXL603 and you're absolutely correct which I find a bit odd but such is life!

Case in Point, the Janome 400 hasnt got an openable Face cover or adjustable presser foot pressure which I find very odd for a £500 machine at the time of release ... which is why I quickly upgraded from it!

In the manual (page 39) it says Stitch 20 is a decorative stitch so obviously their version of a Serpentine stitch,

I agree with Acorn that trying to lengthen the stitch length might give a more gentle wave ... try it, noting down the numbers as you go.

SID is not only boring but damned difficult too ... Echoing the seams a walking foots width away is a lovely solution as is crossing diagonals (on Square and Rectangular blocks and more)

Look what a lovely pattern has been made by crossing the diagonals

and this is the front

I dont know how old your friends machine is or if its brand new but Janomes certainly hold their value and can be sold on for 50%+ of the retail price if you decide to upgrade in the future.