The Sewing Place

Simplicity 1080 - yes or no? Update

mudcat

Re: Simplicity 1080 - yes or no?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2020, 22:27:51 PM »
@sewingj, I'm not fond of the Dottie Angel mainly because of the horrors on Pattern Review, but this reviewer made three lovely versions.  I suspect that hers are more fitted than the pattern draft.

I thought that reviewer looked especially fabulous in the longer red version. The shorter teal version looked pretty good too but I didn't think her test garment was as flattering.  So for this pattern the fabric seems to make a difference.

UttaRetch

Re: Simplicity 1080 - yes or no? Update
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2020, 08:41:32 AM »
I love florals and loved the test garment because it seems so far away from the clownish presentation of the pattern on the envelope.  I always say that fabric choice is the key.

sewingj

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2020, 09:06:03 AM »
@UttaRetch I`ve got very pretty fabric - it still looks grim!
 It was that Review which persuaded me to try the pattern but if you read it you will see that she had to make alterations too.  For example, the tucks that are meant to give the dress shape are much too high - on the bust rather than under it.  And she also finished the armhole differently.
I`m actually wearing it today - I look like I`ve got my granny`s pinny on

UttaRetch

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2020, 09:37:22 AM »
I did say
I suspect that hers are more fitted than the pattern draft.
Nonetheless, I am sorry you ended up with your granny's pinny.  Speaking of which, there actually is a Dottie Angel pinny.  I'll get me coat.

sewingj

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2020, 10:01:03 AM »
   :scream:

UttaRetch

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2020, 13:59:16 PM »

BlueCat

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2020, 14:59:43 PM »
I bought this pattern and made it  all in one fabric. I had to lower the tucks and inserted the ties in the side seams at waist level. As a petite, I found the neck too big and gapey, so took it up at the shoulders. Didn’t suit the sleeve overhang, so trimmed it down to a proper armhole and made facings for the neck and armholes. Pockets were OK but sewed them at an angle at the side seams.
Other than that, I followed the pattern  0_0