The Sewing Place

Simplicity 1080 - yes or no? Update

sewingj

Simplicity 1080 - yes or no? Update
« on: May 21, 2020, 13:56:04 PM »
https://jaycotts.co.uk/collections/patterns_dresses/products/s1080-misses-dress-or-tunic

Now the weather has got so hot I am looking for something to wear that is cool and  loose-ish but not too sack-like (and quick to make). I`m average height, 63, small boobs but pot belly.  I like the photo on the pattern but some of the efforts on Pattern Review aren`t flattering at all!  I don`t want to end up with boobs looking smaller and tummy bigger!

Any thoughts?  Or alternative suggestions?

PS suitable for wovens rather than knitted

« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 09:08:12 AM by sewingj »

Missie

Re: Simplicity 1080 - yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 14:44:33 PM »
No help, @sewingj but I read that as you are 6ft 3.  "Well that's not average height," thought I  :facepalm:

sewmuchmore

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 17:43:23 PM »
You could be describing me, although I am not 6 foot 3 yet ;). I have this pattern on my to do list so will be interested to see how it goes if you buy it. I also have this on my list and I have made a couple of these and I am waiting for this to come from the printers, and I am just about to cut this out in linen fabric
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

annieeg

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 18:50:33 PM »
@sewmuchmore
Love that Felix dress from Grainline. Does it come up very loose?  It looks a nice shape on the model.
FYI I was in  waitrose this pm and noticed more than one lady wearing a linen dress similar to the merchant and mills dress version of top 64.  I think these simple linen dresses with pocket features are very much in fashion?

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 19:09:55 PM »
I think it will look like a shapeless sack... it’s pulled and tied on the picture.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 19:21:17 PM »
@sewingj, I'm not fond of the Dottie Angel mainly because of the horrors on Pattern Review, but this reviewer made three lovely versions.  I suspect that hers are more fitted than the pattern draft.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 19:36:01 PM »
It has ties stitched on the sides that go around the back and however tight you tie them is up to you. I've made this dress and it is a flattering shape  :thumbsup:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

sewingj

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 20:17:24 PM »
@snoozi soozi  several of the reviews say it comes up big and recommend going down a size. Did you find that?

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 20:18:54 PM »
They look much nicer than the pattern envelope...

sewingj

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 20:47:52 PM »
@UttaRetch  I much prefer it made up in one fabric

snoozi soozi

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 20:54:53 PM »
@sewingj I wouldn't say big exactly, the way the ties are stitched in means that it is a snug fit on the bust. I made it in medium and wished I'd gone bigger. The rest of the dress is a nice A-line shape.

I suggest that you make a toile of the top/bust part in your regular size for sure :P

I made it in one fabric too
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 20:56:50 PM by snoozi soozi »
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 20:55:12 PM »
@sewingj, indeed.  It's doesn't look like an apron sewn in one fabric design.  0_0

sewingj

Re: Simplicity 1080 - yes or no? Update
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2020, 09:17:02 AM »
Well, I made it but the end result looks nothing like the pattern.  I made a toile and was very glad I did.  I realised that the tucks were doing me no favours so I got rid of them.  I also narrowed the neckline and raised the back - and I had to play around with the fit a lot as I was between Small and Medium.  The instructions appear to have been written by someone determined to make a simple dress as complicated as possible (every seam is either a french seam or bound) so I ignored most of them.  I did try to follow the instructions for the armhole edge but found it very fiddly and I`m not pleased with the end result (it involves more bias binding and creating a tapering hem).

All in all I have  ended up with a frock suitable for wearing in the garden in hot weather - but probably only during Lockdown when not many people will see it.  (The pattern has already been flung in the recycling bin)

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 11:22:29 AM »
What a waste of time and effort @sewingj.  Personally, I would not touch that pattern with a bargepole.

Starryfish

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2020, 12:37:42 PM »
Who would wear something like the pattern envelope horrors? It never ceases to amaze me that they sew up such terrible samples.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.