The Sewing Place

Help needed

Penabby

Re: Help needed
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 22:35:54 PM »
I made this top too and wish I hadn’t.  Like @snoozi soozi I found the instructions baffling at best. 
To be honest I thought they were appalling, the photos of this step very poor, and I was mystified to read that the 'circles on the facing and the main body won’t match exactly'.  WHAT?  For those here giving advice I’d just like to point out that it's  not an ordinary V neck with a facing sewn as normal.  Far from it.  It’s a shame you have cut it out because I would have advised against it.  I also found the armholes were way too low.  Great if you keep your arms down all the time!

Thank you @Ohsewsimple, I was beginning to think I was stupid. The pattern claims to be beginner-friendly and the pictures, fabric and thread used in the pictures are really hard to make out. It's a shame because I really like the fabric, but I live and learn.
The mind is everything, what you think you become - Buddha.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 01:36:25 AM »
Thank you @Ohsewsimple, I was beginning to think I was stupid. The pattern claims to be beginner-friendly and the pictures, fabric and thread used in the pictures are really hard to make out. It's a shame because I really like the fabric, but I live and learn.

Now you've learned the basic lesson of sewing. No matter how long you sew or how proficient you get,  there will be patterns that make you wonder if you're just stupid, simple beginner labeled patterns that are anything but, idiotic choices for sample fabrics and mostly a lot of living and learning going on. It never really ends, it just changes.  :hug:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 01:41:19 AM by Renegade Sewist »
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 07:43:41 AM »
@Penabby unfortunately it is perhaps not the best pattern to start with. Not that you knew that when you started  :facepalm:

I have an abundance of patterns that I'll never make up - sent with a magazine - if you want I'll be happy to have a sort through them to find you a good straightforward garment and send on to you, just a couple of quid to cover postage. Let me know  :hug:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Missie

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 09:00:08 AM »
@Penabby   Stay stitching is a line of stitching that is done literally just next to the seam line in the seam allowance (and I am talking a whisker or 2 away) and is used to stop the fabric stretching in places such as v-necklines, where the v is on the bias, and on curved edges.  Sew this very carefully, taking care not to stretch the fabric, sewing each side in the same direction (ie dont do it in one hit going down one side and up the other, and actually, that is a good point for all sewing, always sew in the same in the direction - I always do down - so that if the fabric does move at all it moves in the same direction) and then continue making up.

As regards the pleat placement, in the absence of instructions, I would pin on the facings and then pleat/fold the main fabric to fit accordingly.

And never be afraid to ask, no matter how silly you think it is, we will always help and we will always be kind.  You'll never learn if you don't ask  :*
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 09:02:22 AM by Missie »

UttaRetch

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2020, 09:01:33 AM »
@Penabby, given that there is a facing, this

is what I think is the intention. You would then flip over the pieces so that they are right side to right side, press and then fold to form the V.  I think the end result is clearer here.

Sew over it describes the pattern as 'advanced beginner', so I think you would need to have a little bit more experience for this one.

Penabby

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2020, 10:04:54 AM »
The Pattern does say on the front Beginner Friendly. So a bit misleading. Thanks for all your effort to help. I have given up.

UttaRetch

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 12:00:22 PM »
In fact, the pattern is described as 'advanced beginner' which is different from beginner friendly. 

What a pity that your first project should have been aborted.  I would look for something similar amongst the established pattern lines, such as those from The McCall pattern company, but would avoid Burda for now.

I have been sewing on and off for over 30 years now, but still come across head scratcher instructions.  Experience is what separates us from beginners.

Acorn

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2020, 12:08:13 PM »
Can I suggest that you also make your first one in cotton, even if your intention is to make it in crepe later.  Crepe is lovely, but can be slippery and hard to control - you will be able to do it, and people will have plenty of advice as to hw to manage it, but if you can get to grips with the pattern without having the extra burden of misbehaving fabric, life will be easier!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

sewingj

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2020, 12:12:29 PM »
The "traditional" brands are seen by some as old fashioned now but I always use them and learnt most of my sewing techniques just from reading the pattern instructions.

Penabby

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2020, 12:44:05 PM »
Can I suggest that you also make your first one in cotton, even if your intention is to make it in crepe later.  Crepe is lovely, but can be slippery and hard to control - you will be able to do it, and people will have plenty of advice as to hw to manage it, but if you can get to grips with the pattern without having the extra burden of misbehaving fabric, life will be easier!

Hi Acorn. I actually managed the fabric well. I did lots of research into how to work with it. The fabric wasn't the problem, it was understanding the pattern, but thank you for the suggestion.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2020, 13:05:44 PM »
@Renegade Sewist how right you are.  I usually draft my own so a bought pattern is unusual.

The problem with this pattern is that there isn’t a whole facing like you'd expect and like @UttaRetch drew.  I think it’s made complicated by not having a facing at the straight bottom piece but just on the sides.  You have to clip into the corners of the straight part and turn the fabric over.  Whether that is to prevent bulk I don’t know.  But it certainly makes a messy finish.  In hindsight I should have drafted a facing to fit and ignored her instructions. 

UttaRetch

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2020, 13:35:35 PM »
@Penabby, realise that the pleat feature is probably what drew you to the Cora so maybe you will have better luck with

New look 6637
, although it does replicate the pleat feature in the back that the Cora

does not.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2020, 13:58:52 PM »
@UttaRetch the Cora does have a pleat in the back too. The patterns are almost identical

Sorry, ignore that, just realised what you meant   :facepalm:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 14:00:36 PM by snoozi soozi »
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Penabby

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2020, 15:13:45 PM »
Now you've learned the basic lesson of sewing. No matter how long you sew or how proficient you get,  there will be patterns that make you wonder if you're just stupid, simple beginner labeled patterns that are anything but, idiotic choices for sample fabrics and mostly a lot of living and learning going on. It never really ends, it just changes.  :hug:

I really do appreciate that comment @Renegade Sewist. I feel a bit deflated right now. I will come back to it at a later date when I feel more confident. I really wanted to put it in the May Comp, but hey ho.
And everyone else thank you. Its great to have this support.  :*

UttaRetch

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2020, 15:14:03 PM »
The problem with this pattern is that there isn’t a whole facing like you'd expect and like @UttaRetch drew.
I see now that that would be too bulky, but wouldn't there be a raw edge within the fold?