The Sewing Place

Help needed

Penabby

Re: Help needed
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2020, 15:48:34 PM »
I am feeling a bit more positive. I have some nice cotton fabric coming so might have a go with something else. I will post pics of the patterns I have and see what you all think, if any would be a good one for me to try.
The mind is everything, what you think you become - Buddha.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2020, 17:19:51 PM »
I see now that that would be too bulky, but wouldn't there be a raw edge within the fold?

No.  At the base of the neckline where it is straight you have stay stitched and pivoted at the corners.  Then you clip into the corners and turn the little bit of fabric over so you have a small folded piece.  I see the point but it’s fiddly and results  in a mess with bits dangling from the side facings. 

jen

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2020, 07:45:32 AM »
If you haven't binned the pieces of this garment, it is possible to save it, by dumping the useless instructions. You would take your bodice pattern and pin a fold in it to make a V neck, then, if the facing isn't cut to the shape you get, trace off the front neckline and make a facing piece the width of the original. I'd stitch the pleat from the inside for a couple of inches or so to hold it and apply the facing to the neckline after the shoulder seam was stitched. I second the thoughts given above that patterns from Big 4 companies and a couple of other golden oldies usually have reliable instructions. If you make a new start with a better pattern you could go back to this later. Lots of us have a Drawer of the Damned, where we lay a failure to fester for a while before getting up the courage to knock it into shape.