The Sewing Place

Next up, Dorothy

b15erk

Next up, Dorothy
« on: May 09, 2017, 08:52:18 AM »
DD is taking Lilya to the theatre to watch The Wizard of OZ, and has asked for a Dorothy Costume.  Had a quick look yesterday, and I love the original dress, and sketched out a workable copy.  (Sketch is really too grand for my scribbled lines on paper!)

I dug some white cotton lawn out of the White box last night and some lovely dotted lawn fabric for the underblouse.  I wonder if this would count as part of the White Sewalong entry?  Hmmmmmm.

Later, I'm going to skive off for an hour to get blue gingham....

Just got to find the right pattern to use now.  I have one in mind, but where to find it, there's the thing (I had a tidy up).

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

Re: Next up, Dorothy
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 09:10:29 AM »
Well, I'm now on the hunt for another pattern.  The one I wanted to use is OK, but I only have a traced copy as the sheet has been lost from the Ottobre magazine, and the toile I made from it, is not only a tad tight, but the bodice and the skirt are too short....

I've got the fabric though, which is a start.

I'm going to see what Marina Brumpton has I think, as I like her patterns and they fit well.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 09:08:47 AM »
I've drafted a pattern for Dorothy, fingers crossed as I don't draft....

I made one dress to test for size, and Lilya likes it very much.  she spent some time preening and twirling in front of the hall mirror.

Finishing off the prep today.  Lots of bias binding, and edging (burnt fingers too).

Pics of Dress one below.

Jessie

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 09:13:20 AM »
Oooh I like that.  :flower:  Very wearable all through the summer, not just for a theatre visit.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 09:17:24 AM »
That's really lovely - and as Brenda says, it's a go-anywhere dress.   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 09:19:16 AM »
The dress is lovely, Jessie.  Is that a picture of granny as a baby I can see in the background?  0_0

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 09:23:52 AM »
Hahaha!  :D  Well spotted UR, I think it's the only picture of me as a baby in existence!  I don't look much like that now, although our Lil has a bit of a look, and definitely the hair - poor soul....

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 09:34:54 AM »
This is the current situation (see pics).  I am in panic mode and have to have this ready to at least do a final fit tonight.  Preferably, I'd like to hand it over, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Going to start the under blouse now.

Jessie

Sewsuzie

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 09:55:34 AM »
Looking fabulous! Sew for your life, Jessie!

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2017, 10:18:02 AM »
That is gorgeous.   :flower: 0_0  She's a lucky girl!

I really love the strip of diagonal gingham - looks wonderful.

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 20:05:51 PM »
Dorothy, done and delivered!  :)

Thanks for all the moral support girls, I couldn't  have done it without you.

Here are the finished pics, fingers crossed  DD will send me some action pics tomorrow.

Jessie

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 20:36:37 PM »
That is just beautiful - and Toto too!   :woof:  0_0

Sewsuzie

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 20:49:39 PM »
Beautiful! You really have gone the extra mile, Jessie! Bet Lilya loves it  :)

Suzie  :vintage:
Never let your sewing machine know you're in a hurry

Lilian

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 22:37:39 PM »
What a lucky little girl, that is beautiful Jessie!  :toast:  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 22:41:31 PM »
All turned out beautifully, Jessie and the dog in the basket is a sweet touch.