The Sewing Place

Bluprint (was Craftsy) to close

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Bluprint (was Craftsy) to close
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 09:26:28 AM »
I presume no-one wants to pay when there's so much free on t'internet.

I won't pay for something I can't actually download or physically have, maybe others feel the same?

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 09:37:48 AM »
I don't like video classes for anything - I like things to be written down - but I have used their shop quite a few times, and I will definitely miss that.

There are a lot of very pertinent questions in the comments on that article about whether people will continue to get what they've paid for - I would have thought members should have been told first, although I don't suppose customer relations matter too much at this point.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewingsue

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 09:40:52 AM »
Yes, not the right way to tell people about the decision.
I assume they don't care about bad publicity because their future business will be in a different direction.

OTOH I suppose if I had really cared about the classes I bought I would have watched them a long time ago.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 09:54:37 AM »
I have a few classes.. but only bought when they were on offer. I would have thought in this climate it would have flourished.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 10:52:29 AM »
This the future. There is so much free content, good or bad, all over the net and the business has taken the decision that there is little profit to be made from the Bluprint model.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 11:43:17 AM »
Well I hope they make the videos available to download somehow as they were bought on a 'forever' basis and the patterns etc   

Puzzler

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 11:48:21 AM »
Me too, OSS. I bought all mine years ago when on special or free. Still, I would like to own them forever but there is no such thing as forever.

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 11:52:41 AM »
When you play the videos do you download them to your computer or watch them online?  If they are downloaded you should be able to save them - and if not, making that possible would be the only fair thing to do.

I went to the shop hoping for a stunning sale, but although they have 'up to 60% off', I don't think that's any different to their normal pricing, and very little has anything like 60% off.

I also noticed that they are offering 50% off subscriptions, which seems a little odd!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 12:01:15 PM »
Thats terrible ... Anita Grossman Soloman (and The Gourmet Quilter) taught me how to Quilt ... I love AGS shes so calm ... and her design made The Opus!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 12:02:32 PM »
you Can download them but you still need access to the app or website in order to watch.  It’s a strange system.  So no app or website means no videos! 

I wonder how they and us stand legally

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 12:22:55 PM »
I have Alison Smith's 3 tailoring classes and have referred to them many times.  There was nowhere else I could find the level of detail she has all in one place.
Unfortunately she hasn't done a tailoring book.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 12:27:05 PM »
I managed to watch one of her tailoring videos when they did their free days a while ago.  I thought she was very good and made it simple with some interesting tips.  I had thought of buying them. 

Vezelay

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 14:00:16 PM »
I have 32 classes, probably 25 of those were bought (at discount rate). I've watched maybe half. Serves me right, I should have watched them all before now. :(

I do still have the Craftsy App so have managed to download a few which may or may not still be accessible but there's limited space on my iPad.

Thanks for the warning @Pearl

Helen M

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 14:17:58 PM »
I don't think the app works on Android. Has anyone managed it?
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55