The Sewing Place

Bluprint (was Craftsy) to close

Acorn

Re: Bluprint (was Craftsy) to close
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 14:49:12 PM »
If you are a subscriber now would be a good time to go through the free patterns and 'buy' and download anything you might conceivably want at some point in the future!  And if you have any patterns in your library, download and save them - that should be quite straightforward.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

twopence

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2020, 14:50:38 PM »
Yes, I’m going to do just that.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2020, 17:26:39 PM »
Can't even access that page in the link now. It's apparently overrun with unhappy customers. Gee, the only thing this subscriber got was an email with suggestions on what to watch this weekend.

I've still got 12 free classes to get. Right. Have gotten 3 packages in the last week and sent a gift. High quality fabric.

I've been watching classes but not enough.

As soon as NBC bought them you could hear the dirge start in the background.

All the cooking classes and many others have terrific downloads. Time to get busy. If I can get in. All subscribers will be doing the same I imagine. Poo.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

UttaRetch

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2020, 17:54:07 PM »
I have also been reading the PR threads and someone commented that Bluprint is preventing downloads.  The same commentator suggested a proprietary alternative, but it looks expensive and possibly an overkill.

Acorn

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 18:05:57 PM »
I noticed that the free content, which used to be available to everyone, is now only available to subscribers, or (possibly) when you're buying stuff at the same time.

WendyW

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2020, 19:44:49 PM »
This bites! I only spent money on classes that were worth keeping forever- technical, detailed stuff. All of Suzy Furrers classes for making slopers, a couple different jeans classes, and bras and heirloom sewing. Stuff I CAN'T get locally, in person. At the very least they should be allowing us to download the classes we've paid for to make our own "forever" copies.

I got ZERO word from them. I just logged in the for first time in a month, and they didn't even bother to put up any kind of notification on the site.

Kwaaked

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2020, 21:16:12 PM »
Read the terms. 

Section 4: " we grant you a limited, personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable, and revocable license to use our Services"

Section 6: " Purchases of online classes, discount vouchers/flash deals, points and any other virtual items available on the Services (collectively “Digital Items”) are non-refundable (except as otherwise stated herein), have no monetary or cash value (i.e., are not a cash account or equivalent), are not redeemable for cash, and are purchases of only a non-exclusive, revocable, non-assignable and non-transferable right to use the specific Digital Item purchased. All Digital Items are our Content and you have no proprietary or monetary interest in Digital Items you have purchased."

Section 16: "WE PROVIDE THE SERVICES ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS"

There are a several more of these statements, however...by using them you agree to these and basically?  Own forever was a sales tactic and not a verbal/written contractual agreement because you accepted these terms to use the platform.  Unless NBCU decides to be nice, we are all screwed, there can't be a lawsuit or anything else being bandied about.

UttaRetch

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2020, 21:26:22 PM »
Yep, Craftsy/Bluprint gave people 'licence to use' and even if you read and understood the terms and conditions, you only had two options: consent or decline.

Acorn

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2020, 21:30:23 PM »
There's also this little gem [my bold]:

"The Services are constantly evolving and may change over time. We may change, suspend or discontinue any or all aspects of the Services at any time for any reason without notice or liability to you. You acknowledge that you have no expectation of continued availability of the Services. We have the right to suspend or terminate access to the Services and your accounts on the Services, including due to a violation of these Terms."

And another paragraph (15) that says, in capital letters, that you waive your rights to take any form of legal action against Bluprint.  The contract is (to me) quite shocking.

I don't think the contract would be accepted in UK law, but that really doesn't help.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2020, 22:19:22 PM »
Well, legal where you are or not by buying classes or subscribing we all agreed to whatever they said. It does blow. Once it gets too hot here for outside stuff I was going to start watching more.

Wonder if subscribers will get a partial refund. I'm only 5 months in on my subscription. And if we won't be allowed to watch them why do the rest of my downloads?

NBC knew word of this would spread like wildfire. It is totally irresponsible of them to not send an email to the subscribers a few hours later. Yeah,  things change, companies morph or die but show some class and respect for your customers.

Then I remembered this is NBC we're talking about. Something that feels slimy and underhanded is no surprise.

Kwaaked

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2020, 01:29:51 AM »
There is an update on FB https://www.facebook.com/sarah.bradberry/posts/10158325453136635?hc_location=ufi

According to an instant message, we should be able to keep our own forever classes, but the logistics will take a few weeks.

mudcat

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2020, 03:49:15 AM »
Kwaaked, is that an official Bluprint notice?  As a non-user (and frankly strong hater) of Facebook it is kind of lame they don't announce this on the Bluprint site itself.

Kwaaked

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2020, 04:44:42 AM »
No, but it's the guy who created and runs Craftsy/Bluprint.  Right now, it is also the ONLY thing we have from anyone.

No proof on this, but I have a feeling that this was not supposed to be told to us or the instructors yet, either.  I don't trust NBC or any other conglomerate...but this is just bad publicity with NBC coming out with its own streaming service in a couple of months. 

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2020, 05:38:46 AM »
Well I'd better buy my other classes. I had a hunch when they sent codes for the whole year a few months ago. Just been a bit distracted lately.

Also need more fabric! Their line is really nice.

Acorn

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2020, 11:34:45 AM »
Yes - I would like to know whether the shop is going to continue in any way.  Their FQ packs are my treat once or twice a year (twice so far this year...)