The Sewing Place

Stegosaurus

Ploshkin

Stegosaurus
« on: May 23, 2020, 10:53:48 AM »
Eons ago I used to make loads of stuffed toys (as teenagers @Flobear and I had a bit of a cottage industry) but it is more than 20 years since I have made anything and I have only ever made things in fur or felt which are very forgiving.

Anyway, my neighbours recently started fostering.  Up until now they have just done weekend respite for other foster carers for two 12 year old girls.  About a month ago they took in a 4 year old girl on an emergency placement.  She came with very little stuff and of course there are no shops open.  Neighbours with children rallied round and put together some bits for her and I had some things from when my niece and nephew used to come and stay. they're in their 20s now.
About 3 weeks ago DH told me that the little girl had told him that she wanted a dinosaur so I thought 'no problem'.  I found a pattern for cotton fabric and after a bit of searching realised that good old Bumbleberries quilting fabric was a good dinosaur look.  All the pieces are backed with fusible woven interfacing for robustness.  I was delighted to find a pair of googly eyes in my button box, goodness knows why I had them because I've never used safety eyes for anything before.  I washed an old pillow with a polyester filling and it was perfect for stuffing.  Just as I started to stuff I realised that one of the eyes had a crack right across the surface.  Damn, blast and botheration! 
I searched on e bay for some more googly safety eyes that weren't in China or in packs of 500 and found some in London.  After receiving an e mail to say they had been posted they arrived 10 days later!  It has taken me forever as my hands didn't like using a needle in confined spaces to stitch on the legs so I could only manage one every couple of days.

But, I have finally finished it - the moment has probably now long passed and my neighbour told me yesterday that the girl had just received a box of her things from home.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:19:50 AM by Ploshkin »
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

Re: Stegosaurus
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 11:02:21 AM »
I'm sure she will be delighted @Ploshkin, however much stuff she might have got from home - and he may end up being a symbol of a very welcome change in her life.  He is gorgeous.   :*
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 11:06:45 AM »
Lovely. She's sure to love him
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:33:29 AM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 11:07:07 AM »
I think so too - he's lovely! I'm sure "the moment" won't be too late for her.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 11:30:52 AM »
That’s great @Ploshkin.  I’m sure she’ll love it.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 12:44:30 PM »
That is FAB U lous! Im sure the lil girl will Looove it!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 12:58:51 PM »
Do you think has anyone ever made her anything before? That is one very special dinosaur and he looks very happy to be going to his new job.  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Flobear

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 14:23:21 PM »
I think he's gorgeous @Ploshkin, and the colours look much nicer than they did on Skype.

Other TSPers may like the idea that Middle-sis suggested of leaving him on the doorstep (with foster-mum's knowledge) for the little girl to find. He could, like her, need someone to look after him!
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 14:38:36 PM »
He's lovely - and that fabric looks just like scales.  I'm sure the little girl will treasure him. <3
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Surest1tch

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 19:28:56 PM »
I'm sure that little girl will love it to bits especially if she knows it was "born" specially for her

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2020, 19:40:55 PM »
He is a big hit.  I left him in a bag on the door handle when they were out (neighbour knew about him) with a note, from him, asking if he could live with her because he scared the sheep.  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

Lilian

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 20:04:00 PM »
Ooh, that is wonderful!  I'm sure he will have a 'special' place in her heart  :loveit:
Willing but not always able :)

Tamnymore

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2020, 21:18:50 PM »
Fabulous @Ploshkin . And wonderful googly eyes too. Now you have 498 googly eyes left you'll have to sew them onto everything!  :D
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 07:42:53 AM »
Just revisited this thread ... You are so talented @Ploshkin  ... He is exquisite!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sheilago

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2020, 09:29:13 AM »
He is fantastic @Ploshkin . I love his slightly concerned expression and the fabric is perfect! I’m sure she’ll take him to her heart.  <3