The Sewing Place

HELP!!

Jabandmove

HELP!!
« on: May 23, 2020, 12:01:58 PM »
Hi guys,

I introduced myself as a newbie and this is my first question (probably of many).

My daughter is 12 and has got into sewing hugely over the last 6 months, she only has a very cheap starter machine and is struggling as it isn’t great (she has been making face masks).

What machines would you guys recommend for a 12 year old newbie while I’m on a very tight budget in these current times?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Iminei

Re: HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 12:23:08 PM »
Secondhand machines reconditioned from a dealer/sewing shop will be a good point to start ... I have bought many off Fleabay ... but that generally involves travel ... Oh yes, My then husband travelled to all corners of the country for me!
.... but you do need to know what you are looking for.

If you asked 100 TSP members in 100 minutes what the best sewing machine is you''ll probably get 100 answers ... Everyone has their favourites!

Good brands are Janome (my favourite),  Brother (not for me) but I would definitely avoid Singer ... unless its an old black metal model, which do come up and if you are mechanically minded can be restored and then sew Beautifully ... You'll find out more in the Vintage machine section of TSP .... but do avoid 'bargains' from Lidl or Hobbycraft etc ...

Do you have a SM shop nearish to you? That might be your best first stop, especially if they have more than one brand in stock, you can try a couple to see what suits her.

If no shops near you there are some very good Online shops, SMD is one ...  but do make sure you avoid a certain one ... Is it Coopers, Ladies ??? (some one will tell you)

Im sure there will be more better informed replies than mine along in the wink of an eye ...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 12:29:53 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

So Chic

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 13:47:17 PM »
Very good advice from Iminei and I agree with all she has said.  SMD and Sewing Machine World are both good on line retailers.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 09:32:43 AM by So Chic »
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

jintie

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 14:09:33 PM »
Her basic machine might be okay with a few lessons?
Rottweiler with scissors

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 14:59:27 PM »
Buy a decent second hand or vintage one. Look on FB marketplace there’s usually a few on there.

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 17:10:07 PM »
Look for a mechanical machine which has manual controls for stitch length and width, tension and presser foot pressure. At the moment it's hard to try out anything secondhand before buying from the likes of Gumtree, which is important.

Could you ask round friends and family to see if anyone has a machine you can borrow or buy?

Jabandmove

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 18:57:11 PM »
Thank you all so much for your advice, I will look into this for her and see what we can do.  :thumbsup:

StitchinTime

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 19:19:07 PM »
Lovely to hear that your daughter is so into her sewing. If you need more specific advice, perhaps you could tell us what machine she currently has and why it is struggling (too slow, won’t go through all the layers of fabric, etc).

Sewingforfun

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 18:07:36 PM »
@Jabandmove how lovely that she's into sewing. I'd second the vintage/second hand mechanical machines. A older mechanical Bernina is a workhorse machine capable of making anything she wants to try, but also often cheaper than the fancy computerised ones that don't actually sew as well. For the most part, you only need a straight and a zig-zag stitch, the rest is window dressing. Plus with the mechanical things, most things that go wrong are easier to fix.
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

Jabandmove

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 15:04:42 PM »
Hi all, quick update for anyone interested  :D

I managed to get hold of an old (very old) machine from a friend after asking around if anyone had any unused equipment they were looking to get rid of.

It’s a Brother VX855 and it all works fine, so far my daughter has been able to use it with no issues and she’s made the face masks she was struggling to do on her first machine.

Thanks for all the advice

SkoutSews

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 16:26:59 PM »
Excellent news, @Jabandmove . Your daughter's interest in sewing should come on nicely.

SingingSinger

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2020, 20:13:58 PM »
It’s a Brother VX855 and it all works fine, so far my daughter has been able to use it with no issues

Ahhh, that's great. I have a VX855 that belonged to my Mum. It's a pretty decent workhorse. I should get mine out and give it a run :)
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 23:48:12 PM »
Yes indeed excellent news @Jabandmove   Sewing has given your daughter something positive to take away from her lock-down experience and hopefully will be something she enjoys for many years to come.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sara-S

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 01:49:22 AM »
Hi all, quick update for anyone interested  :D

I managed to get hold of an old (very old) machine from a friend after asking around if anyone had any unused equipment they were looking to get rid of.

It’s a Brother VX855 and it all works fine, so far my daughter has been able to use it with no issues and she’s made the face masks she was struggling to do on her first machine.

Thanks for all the advice

That's great nws. Any chance you could post a pic of the machine?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2020, 07:54:04 AM »
and the masks ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again