The Sewing Place

Ironing Guides

Puzzler

Ironing Guides
« on: May 24, 2020, 10:09:06 AM »
I don’t know what they are officially called but I seem to remember there being strips of a certain material in varying widths that you could fold fabric over and press hems, etc. Does anyone know anything about these? Alternatively I could make my own but not sure what to use that wouldn’t melt or become distorted over time.

StitchinTime

Re: Ironing Guides
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 10:28:41 AM »
I have a Clover hot ruler which I got as I won a gift voucher and needed to spend it all at once to minimise shipping costs from America. It is useful and does the job, but had I not won the voucher I think I would be quite happily still using lines drawn on a thick piece of card instead.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 10:34:19 AM »
I use a thick piece of card with a notch (half a V shape) cut into the side of it at the depth of the hem from the end of the card. I use this to measure the amount that I need to turn up every 6" or so as I press it. I find it pretty foolproof.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 10:57:05 AM »
I have two commercial ones, both Dritz I think, and both aluminum. Now what is wrong with that picture? They get really hot! You either have to let it cool forever or wear finger protection of some sort. One is for garments, the other is for hemming draperies. It's the more useful of the two.

What I normally use is manilla file folder. I cut strips of different sizes and widths. Draw your turn up parallel to the edge with #2 pencil. I've never had it transfer to fabric. I can steam press but eventually they warp and go in the recycling bin. It is really great for turning up sleeves and narrow pant legs.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

sleepingwolf

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 11:34:03 AM »
I also used manilla file card to make guides but recently I have been using strips cut from thin plastic chopping mats like these.  Chopping mats.

They keep a crisp edge for longer than card and they handle the heat reasonably well.  They can be a little awkward if you use a lot of steam because they don't absorb the water and it can sit on the surface.  I have even used them to cut templates for patch pockets with some success.

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 13:06:18 PM »
Great tips, ladies, thank you!

annieeg

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 13:54:02 PM »
I use my Prym ironing rulers frequently and I've also got another thicker type which i think might be made by Clover.  I'll post the full name later if anyone is interested. 0_0

Puzzler

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 14:07:56 PM »
Thank you all for the tips. Might go with this.

https://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatalog/Clover-Hot-Hemmer.html#SID=448

annieeg

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 16:52:36 PM »
@Puzzler
that's the one I was talking about ... :thumbsup:

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 21:52:07 PM »
Thank you all for the tips. Might go with this.

https://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatalog/Clover-Hot-Hemmer.html#SID=448

It's so tiny! I have a pocket pressing tool for small things like that.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Puzzler

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 22:20:53 PM »
They did have one in another size. Will let you know when I get it.

KayK

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 08:41:01 AM »
I have been using the edge of my quilting ruler (naughty!) but so far I haven't harmed it!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 09:19:41 AM »
I made a hem guide from a freebie download or was it a pull out from a magazine?  I printed it out on an A4 address label, stuck it onto card and then carefully cut out.

Kwaaked

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 10:09:34 AM »
I went to a metal fabrication company and got them to do it out of stainless and etch 1/2-3" in lines to it.  Sort of like a long, flat EZ Hem gauge. 

Edit: actually a stainless ruler of any kind would kind of work.  As soon as I posted it, I was like...meh, I use a yardstick for the flat ones, too.  My fabricated one is specifically meant for bridal wear due to length and weird non-curveish curve.  Which is funny when I got to thinking about it....it's basically my 60: steel ruler with lines in it.

Lot of design rulers are of a specific width.  One yardstick is 1 1/8 and my 60" ruler is 2". 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 10:17:19 AM by Kwaaked »