The Sewing Place

greeting from the land of dragons

dafyddcoch

greeting from the land of dragons
« on: May 25, 2020, 11:46:27 AM »
 Well what brings a chap well past middle-age (unless I live from than 118 years) who can't sew that well to a sewing forum. Well I guess but being a practical sort of a chap, I'm keen to make home furnishings, stitch leather/leatherette for car seats (I'm a classic car bod), fix horse rugs, make simple clothes, maybe for my wife rather than me as men's clothes seem to be quite complex. I've already made a massive solid bottomed shopping bag from an old duvet that actually holds shopping and lots of it. I made that using an old Singer treadle machine and whilst it isn't perfect, it is useful. I've since graduated up to using my late father-in-law's Jones CBD that I've fitted to the Singer treadle bench and it all still folds down neatly and has left me with a very usable unit. Thus far I've made a vest from an old stretchy sheet and some edging, salvaged three frayed towels, modified a top for my wife to stop the sleeves falling down too easily and made a pair of curtains for our bedroom from another old duvet and some recycled curtain tape. I'm particularly chuffed with the curtains which actually look alright, much to my surprise. All this sewing activity in the front-room is reminding me of my mother who used to make clothes and curtains with her treadle machine and later an old electric model,  as well as making loads of stuffed toys, including many many Wombles!

I've joined The Sewing Place because I'm aware of how limited my skills are and want to be able to access the knowledge of people who know so much more than I do about sewing and using a machine. Although I've been a Diversity practitioner for years, I spent many years working with steel and especially sheet steel and have noticed that some of the skills are similar and have a great deal of respect for skilled machinists, tailors and seamstresses who seem to be able to work with such great speed. I'm happy to dawdle but want to be able to produce quality items, so it makes sense to be able to ask skilled people for help. Unfortunately, I don't think I have very much to offer in return as I'm such a beginner even though I'm almost 60.

UttaRetch

Re: greeting from the land of dragons
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 12:14:17 PM »
Welcome to the forum and I am sure we can help in the future.

You mention a couple of vintage machines and there is a sizeable contingent who love the old stuff.  :D

Puzzler

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 12:21:31 PM »
Welcome to TSP. Nice to read that you have discovered what could become an all-consuming passion, especially if you stick around here.  ;)

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 12:25:27 PM »
Hello and welcome @dafyddcoch ! This is by no means an exclusively female place - come and meet our other gentlemen. We would love to see pictures of what you have made. We were all beginners once and even now we are good at some things and not so good (!) at others. No-one will be criticising I can assure you!

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 12:27:51 PM »
Quick quick there's heavy linen for sale somewhere for 'man' sewing!  0_0 We have some chaps who do stuff with canvas and pleather... at least that's what they tell us.  ;)

Welcome to the forum. Choose your tipple  :drink: :gin: :toast: and make yourself comfortable.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Silver Rose

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 12:35:09 PM »
Welcome @dafyddcoch, you seem to have made a good start with your sewing.
Still learning

Nevis5

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 12:38:58 PM »
Welcome, @dafyddcoch  from me, too  :toast:  we'll cheer you on if we can x

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 12:41:03 PM »
Yes. Enable Cheer you on. That's what we do.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lachica

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 13:03:38 PM »
Welcome.  Your sheet metalworking skills transfer well to fabric, except that steel has no selvedge and doesn't fray.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 13:48:16 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  I’m sure you'll learn lots. 

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 13:55:50 PM »
@dafyddcoch welcome to TSP.

It sounds as though you are well on your way to being a proper sewist; and have the let's get on and see what I can do rather than dilly-dally with procrastination.  Looking forward to seeing some of your creations.
 :vintage: :trousers: :thumbsup:

PS - where has the fabric icon gone?  We are very good at helping people to obtain lots of fabric; a very necessary requirement for anyone who sews.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kenora

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 14:04:56 PM »
A warm welcome from me too. Sewing is therapy, so good for you on so many levels. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

dafyddcoch

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 15:10:28 PM »
Welcome.  Your sheet metalworking skills transfer well to fabric, except that steel has no selvedge and doesn't fray.

And is more likely to slice the end of your finger off when you drop it or have you in A+E having bits of it taken out of your eye after cutting it!! lol But seriously, there are many similarities despite them appearing to be quite different materials. Mind you, I've worked with some thin sheet aluminium for skinning wooden car-bodies that is almost as easy to cut as thick canvas and similar to fold. 

dafyddcoch

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2020, 15:18:19 PM »
Welcome to the forum and I am sure we can help in the future.

You mention a couple of vintage machines and there is a sizeable contingent who love the old stuff.  :D

I'm an old-fashioned sort of a chap and anyway, can't afford a decent quality new machine. Mind you, I would like all the fancy stitches and stuff they can do but will try to see how much can be done with different feet and attachments. I have a Jones button-holer that seems very complicated re working out how it functions but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it and I can't see how a zig-zagger attachment can work unless it is moving the material rather than the needle understand. All stuff to learn and stop my brain from seizing-up in my second youth (or cal it denial of you prefer").     

dafyddcoch

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 15:20:37 PM »
  0_0 We have some chaps who do stuff with canvas and pleather... at least that's what they tell us.  ;)

Well they're most probably being truthful but WHAT exactly are they doing with said materials items is the worrying question!! lol