The Sewing Place

greeting from the land of dragons

dafyddcoch

Re: greeting from the land of dragons
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2020, 15:26:19 PM »
@dafyddcoch welcome to TSP.

It sounds as though you are well on your way to being a proper sewist; and have the let's get on and see what I can do rather than dilly-dally with procrastination.  Looking forward to seeing some of your creations.
 :vintage: :trousers: :thumbsup:

PS - where has the fabric icon gone?  We are very good at helping people to obtain lots of fabric; a very necessary requirement for anyone who sews.

I'm too impatient to wait and would rather just have a bash if I have a basic idea and apply this to most skills I want to learn. One can either pay money to go on a course to learn something or have go anyway and learn from mistakes. Having said that, just occasionally that approach has not served me well and could have ended in embarrassment if I was the kind of chap that embarrassed easily.

Fabric icon??

Acorn

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2020, 15:33:37 PM »
We have been overhauling the smileys, and that is the first time anyone has noticed one that has been nudged off the list.  It can still be used, though, @BrendaP - just put a colon each side of the word fabric, like this  :fabric:   :thumbsup:

Welcome @dafyddcoch  from another in the land of song and dragons - a bit further south than you.   :)

And is more likely to slice the end of your finger off when you drop it or have you in A+E having bits of it taken out of your eye after cutting it!! lol

Somewhere around here there is a picture of the finger of one of our members after she managed to sew through it, nail and all.  I'm not going to look for it because I really don't ever want to see it again...  :\  It was only a hole, though.  She didn't manage to actually remove any part of it.  I don't think.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2020, 15:46:14 PM »
Hello, good afternoon, and welcome from me too.  :)

hernibs

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2020, 15:54:22 PM »
Hello and welcome from the land across the water.  Wishing you lots of good sewing experiences and few poor ones...strangely enough it may be the poor ones which teach us all the most.

Ploshkin

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2020, 16:06:27 PM »
Croeso @dafyddcoch from another in the Principality.  It sounds as though you have made a good start already.
Life's too short for ironing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2020, 17:32:27 PM »
@dafyddcoch: the machinery you have already is probably much better suited to the sort of work you do.   I have a little computerised Brother and my Mother's Singer 401 that is too fast for me, but I couldn't bring myself to part with it. 

BrendaP

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2020, 21:26:14 PM »
I would like all the fancy stitches and stuff they can do but will try to see how much can be done with different feet and attachments. I have a Jones button-holer that seems very complicated re working out how it functions but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it and I can't see how a zig-zagger attachment can work unless it is moving the material rather than the needle understand.

It depends what you want to sew what the optimum machine is.

For a lot of utility stuff including the heavy upholstery; unless you are sewing all day, every day in which case you need an industrial machine, a solid vintage machine in good working order is as good as anything, but you are restricted if it's just a straight stitch machine.

Yes, the zig-zaggers do work by moving the fabric, same with buttonholers.  I have a zig-zagger somewhere but I've only tried it once and it was nowhere near as good as a proper swing needle machine.  On the other hand the buttonholers are excellent once you get the hang of them.

The big restriction with straight stitch machines is when you come to neatening edges in clothes.  There are the traditional/old fashioned methods that many of us more mature ladies learned at school (the boys would have learned to use a hammer and chisel or some such)  like using pinking shears or two lines of stitching, but the neatest seams will be run-and-fell or French.  Of course if you line everything you make there is no need to neaten seams ... 

Sadly the straight stitchers don't like stretchy fabric   :fabric: especially if there is a lycra content.   If you want to get into making fleece jackets, jogging trousers or tee shirts using modern stretch fabrics you really need to start saving for another machine or two.  Not only one that does zig-zag and other fancy stitches but also an overlocker.

ETA - the colons either side of fabric worked!  :fabric:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 21:28:45 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Surest1tch

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2020, 21:56:18 PM »
Welcome from me too  :D. How lovely it is to see we have another man sewist amongst us

Missie

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2020, 09:38:43 AM »
Croeso i'r Sewing Lounge @dafyddcoch .  How lovely to have another gentleman join the ranks.  It sounds like you are well on your way to a new obsession, I mean hobby!  Ask away, someone will always know the answer or be able to give the right advise.

dafyddcoch

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2020, 11:32:56 AM »
Croeso i'r Sewing Lounge @dafyddcoch .  How lovely to have another gentleman join the ranks.  It sounds like you are well on your way to a new obsession, I mean hobby!  Ask away, someone will always know the answer or be able to give the right advise.

Diolch y fawr. I can cope with obsession as concentrating on sewing will apparently lower my blood pressure. I guess that works until the time that you've spent 5 hours making something and the discover you forgot to turn in inside out before hemming! lol

Thanks to all of you for the very welcoming messages.

wrenkins

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2020, 12:28:07 PM »
...until the time that you've spent 5 hours making something and the discover you forgot to turn in inside out before hemming!

Too close to the truth. Who was it who put the same sleeve in back to front/outside in three times? Was it @Acorn. 0_0 There are no mistakes, only learning experiences.  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2020, 12:49:17 PM »
No!   :o  I'm the one who sewed a trouser leg on upside down.  Twice.   :P
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

UttaRetch

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2020, 13:51:37 PM »
How about three goes at machine sewing a skirt zip?

wrenkins

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2020, 13:54:18 PM »
I have one in-seam pocket going backwards in my first pair of trousers.  0_0 I didn't realise until after the waistband was on!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

annieeg

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2020, 14:00:16 PM »