The Sewing Place

advice for novice re kimono coat

dafyddcoch

advice for novice re kimono coat
« on: May 25, 2020, 18:54:56 PM »
HI, I'm new to this sewing shenanigans and the forum (see post in 'HI, I'm new') but have managed to make a pair of curtains from an old duvet cover that came out rather well for a first attempt, I've also made a large shopping bag, a vest, reclaimed a few frayed towels and stitched elastic into the cuffs of my wife's fleece as they kept falling down.

I'd like to make my wife an article of clothing and thought that a simple Kimono coat seemed like a simple pattern and there are tutorials available as well to help me make it. Is this about the most simple of patterns as I think or am I missing something. This will be the first thing I've made where I've laid out for material so I don't want to get it wrong.

Thanks or "Diolch" as we say here in Wales   

Renegade Sewist

Re: advice for novice re kimono coat
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 19:19:31 PM »
Should be fairly straightforward. Pick a pattern or use online instructions that have rectangular pieces except for the back neck. Don't over fit, this type of garment should flow. Speaking of which, use a fabric with drape that will move when she does. Nothing heavy or stiff.

As a tip, especially seeing as you've worked with sheet metal,  when I get pattern pieces that are true rectangles I measure the pattern and go by the measurements. I use quilting rulers with a rotary cutter and cutting mat now. Before I used a drafting ruler- I have a four foot steel rule- and either tailor chalk, special pens or a  #2 pencil. Worked well for me.

Pop back with other questions as you go. And welcome!  :toast:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 19:55:44 PM »
That is an excellent idea for a starting garment - simple, but big enough to feel as though you're doing something!

The only advice I would give is that slippery fabric might be lovely to wear but would be murder to sew - cotton is likely to be your best friend (as well as being nice and cool for the summer).
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 20:29:27 PM »
I made a kimono jackety thing for the Japanese sewalong .... and if I can do it .......

Google Zepher jacket ...

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 08:07:15 AM »
I made a kimono jackety thing for the Japanese sewalong .... and if I can do it .......

Google Zepher jacket ...

Says the woman who used to make and sell waistcoats.  You under-estimate your skills.

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 10:00:00 AM »
That mask always creeps me out!  0_0
I think I might have a rattle at something like that. I'm looking for replacement overshirts and that would be fine if I lengthened it maybe.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Flobear

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 11:44:50 AM »
If you want a practice run in an easy fabric, a kimono bathrobe / dressing gown is a useful addition to the back of the bedroom door. My cotton flowery one is ancient but well used in hot weather. Mind you, if you're in Wales, 'hot weather' doesn't come along so often  ;)
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

dafyddcoch

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 11:46:47 AM »
It looks like I've made a commitment then. OOOOO exciting! I was thinking of using a very light synthetic blanket-type material with a nice lining. The sort of material that gets used for a thin-ish picnic blanket but wondering if even that may be too slippery for a beginner. Cotton sounds good but I would like it to be thick-ish if so but not tarpaulin like. Choices choices. thanks for the advice

dafyddcoch

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 00:07:20 AM »

Google Zepher jacket ...

Thanks, I will do. I love the finished article, especially the blue diagonal bits sorry, (not that au fait with sewing terminology yet) at the front. They work really well with the patterned material and set it off well. Mind you, I'm no expert and my wife and son despair sometimes when I'm 'colour planning' or choosing a shirt/tie combination for work.

Missie

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 10:36:14 AM »
@dafyddcoch  can I just say that I love that you want to make something for your wife.  :thumbsup:

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 10:51:24 AM »
Love your enthusiasm but I really wouldn't try anything lined or thick  just yet. Play safe and keep it light. Once you've got the hang of it then consider moving on to a fleece or a flannel.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

dafyddcoch

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 11:17:21 AM »
Love your enthusiasm but I really wouldn't try anything lined or thick  just yet. Play safe and keep it light. Once you've got the hang of it then consider moving on to a fleece or a flannel.

Thanks for the advice as it countered my instinct which is easier and less 'flighty';  this is why I joined this forum to have access to knowledge rather than my instinct