The Sewing Place

Fashion, what ever would DH say

Gernella

Fashion, what ever would DH say
« on: May 26, 2020, 09:31:30 AM »
He would flipping hate this, I  don't dress for him but for myself but even I would draw a line with this.  Yet it seems to be so fashionable, or is it, would probably hide a multitude of sins.

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Fashion, what ever would DH say
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 09:34:20 AM »
Well, the older gentleman often doesn't appreciate modern fashion  :P

And a lot of people don't like tight fitted clothes.

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 12:14:26 PM »
Neither does the older lady.  I don't want  them tight, I don't want them showing my backside but I don't want to look like Villanella in her pink  frock (the rest I could live with).

It's true then I am getting old :S
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 12:17:06 PM »
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 08:32:16 AM by sewingj »

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 12:20:08 PM »
Nice and cool.  :)

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 12:20:22 PM »
If you are young and mostly thin, you can wear anything.  Those clothes would make me look like a galleon in full rigging.

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 12:21:20 PM »
I look like a Dalek in stuff like that.  :S My boobs make everything hang a foot away from the rest of me! No thank you. 0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 12:26:11 PM »
Yep, those high necklines draw the eyes up and over the chest real estate. I'm only a 32F, but mostly avoid high necklines.

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 12:30:35 PM »
You have a fabulous waist too @UttaRetch. I think when people try to cover the 'real estate' they tend to swamp the good bits too.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 12:34:47 PM »
Aww shucks.  :|  I say I am only a 32F, but some of the pictures of me from my Canadian holiday last year made me wonder at what I saw.  Maybe I should get measured again when the opportunity arises.

Nevis5

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 12:55:35 PM »
I'm going to give this fashion a pass too.  I'm another booby person and they would look dreadful on me.  I don't even think I wore them first time round.

KayK

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 13:11:17 PM »
I am just short.......therefore most things look ridiculous.  I was short and slim up until the age of 61 - then everything went north, south, east and west.  I now have the lockdown uniform of joggers and polo shirt........utterly dreadful.  My excuse is that we have horses and you can never stay clean when dealing with them.  At least when I was at work I did look decent!

As for fashion - I've really lost the plot!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Efemera

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 13:43:19 PM »
Neither does the older lady.  I don't want  them tight, I don't want them showing my backside but I don't want to look like Villanella in her pink  frock (the rest I could live with).

It's true then I am getting old :S

I LOVED that dress...I’ll admit I’m a little on the old side for that but most of my dresses are of the gathered variety....love me a flounce or a frill...I’m a bit partial to a bow or two as well. I like fitted on the top and very loose on the bottom.
I like the look of sleek fitted clothing but I feel all trussed up if I wear it.

datcat23

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 22:58:16 PM »
Not for me, but yes they would be comfortable.   Fashion shows are really a magnifying glass for the current fashion.  Each feature is bigger, and prouder, than you would see in normal fashion. 

So if you extrapolate from the picture, in the coming years fashions, you will see high or boat necklines, perhaps with a notch or keyhole, full closed in sleeves with wrist cuffs, slight more boxier bodices, and swishy skirts, perhaps with tiers.  Its been proven before, that the length of skirts is a key indicator of the state of the economy.  When things are bad, they are longer, when things are great, they are shorter.   Given the length of these dresses, we are screwed!   :facepalm:
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

snoozi soozi

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 07:14:07 AM »
I likes the yellow dress
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew