The Sewing Place

Change of plan!

Mrsdawes20

Change of plan!
« on: May 27, 2020, 11:23:54 AM »
So my lovely hubby has said I can get a new machine as an early birthday present  <3
With this in mind, what machines get your votes? I intend to make clothes in the end and would imagine using cotton, poly cotton etc. Budget wise I would say upto £300?
What are your opinions before I invest xx

wrenkins

Re: Change of plan!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 11:29:05 AM »
I can't speak for anything else but I bought what I thought was a decent Brother and if I hadn't an older machine I'd think it was fine. It's lightweight and gitchy and turns it's nose up at any more than about four layers of fabric. Not great for a quilter. My 1979 Singer blows it into the weeds!
Janome and Bernina get good reviews on here and if I was to upgrade at any time that would probably be my direction but as I say that's not from any experience of these machines.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 11:50:11 AM »
Have a look at what SMD are offering
https://www.sewingmachines.co.uk/browse-machines/sewing-machines/?p=2

It does look as though there is a bit of a shortage of machines at the moment with a lot out of stock. 
If you phone them and discuss your requirements you'll get good advice.

The last new machine I bought was a coverstitcher from SMD, excellent service, and before that an overlocker from a local bricks and mortar shop - normally the advice is to go to a proper bricks and mortar shop to test drive the options but these are not normal times.

When I bought the overlocker I expected to come away with a Husqvarna or a Brother.  The woman there (owner not just sales assistant) said that although the Husqvarna sewing machines are generally good their overlockers are not.  They had three models there for me to play with, a Pfaff which had tension issues, a Brother which sounded so rough and clunky, and the Bernina which I have found to be excellent.

I agree with Wrenkins that a lot of modern machines are lightweight and plasticky.  Whatever you sew you are going to need to go across seams which means multiple layers of fabric. 

Elna and Janome are the same brand, just different badges.   Singer, Husqvarna (Viking) and Pfaff are all part of SVP now, and they wouldn't be my choice.  Vintage singers :vintage: are totally different.  Bernina and Juki are generally good, but I have seen some negative comments about both of them recently.

Have a look at https://sewingmachineexpert.co.uk/best-sewing-machine-brands/
for info about the different brands
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 11:55:20 AM »
Mine is a Husqvarna Emerald 118 which Sewing Machines Direct have for £319. I have had mine about 13 years and, although it needs a service now, has been excellent. It isn't computerised and is very easy to use. An essential for me is the needle up/down facility which it has.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 12:08:23 PM »
@BrendaP I agree about the Husqvarna overlockers.  I’ve used countless makes and never liked them.  But they aren’t made by Husqvarna. 

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 12:17:42 PM »
I have a Husqvarna Topaz (sewing and embroidery machine) and a Huqvarna Megaquilter (no longer made, and doesn't do zigzag).  Neither would be suitable for your needs, but I love both of them, and they have never given me any trouble.  Although, to be fair, I've only had the Megaquilter for a few months - enough time to fall head over heels in love with it though.

That said, if you get a Janome or Bernina you will probably find it easier to get servicing locally - that's an important consideration, just in case!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 12:25:25 PM »
Mine is a Husqvarna Emerald 118 which Sewing Machines Direct have for £319. I have had mine about 13 years and, although it needs a service now, has been excellent. It isn't computerised and is very easy to use. An essential for me is the needle up/down facility which it has.

It might not be full blown computerised, but it is electronic if it has the needle up/down.  Mechanical models can't do that.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

KayK

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 12:26:39 PM »
£300 should get you a decent 'used' Bernina (look on eBay or sewing machine sales on Facebook).  They are well made, sturdy and unlikely to cause frustrations like the cheaper modern ones might (I say this from experience of a £1400 Juki that was nothing but trouble and poorly made!)

I did buy a Brother Innovis 15 to take to classes.  It is a nice, simple machine, but I have doubts about its longevity and its ability for hard work - but it's ok for very basic stuff.
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 12:33:43 PM »
I only ever buy new things and only do P and Q but I swear by Brother machines. I'm on my second one and they have both been great
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 12:44:20 PM »
No, you're right @BrendaP - it also has the electronic foot control. By "not computerised" I really meant that the stitch selection/length etc are all manual controls which I am very comfortable with.

sewingj

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 13:14:49 PM »
The Janome 725s is used on Sewing Bee and is available for less than £300

Sewbusy

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 17:33:57 PM »
In 60 plus years of sewing I've purchase two new machines, Brother Compal Opus in 1986 ( Half price-staff perk!) and a Brittania Coverstitch last year and been very happy with those purchases.

All other machines have been purchased 'used' since my retirement 14 years ago. The majority of which have been vintage Berninas, some of which I have sold and some I still have. Ok, I'm a Bernina Magpie! They fascinate me and I'm extremely fortunate to have a superb local repairman who has enabled me to benefit from sellers of machines who maybe couldn't avail themselves of such excellent, honest and trustworthy knowledge.

The most expensive machine (not cost to me) I have is a Pfaff Sewing and Embroidery machine which when new was £3,500, a price I would never have afforded, indeed I travelled a fair distance to purchase a Horn cabinet and came away with the Pfaff sewing machine, cabinet, sewing chair and a large quantity of fabric! I have spent money on a service, a light bulb and a cording foot, and it is still functioning perfectly after 12 years.

So don't be afraid to consider an older machine, do your homework and ask as many questions as you can. You may get lucky.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 20:27:06 PM by Sewbusy »

Helen M

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 21:09:25 PM »
@Mrsdawes20 if you're looking at SMD I'd suggest the Janome 5018. https://www.sewingmachines.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=janome+5018+sewing+machines

It's been around with slightly different model numbers for around 20 years and is a mechanical and has a metal chassis and I've heard it described as a workhorse, which it is.

I've had 2, first dating from 1990 (the MyExcel 18W) and I've now had the 4618 LE since 2011. I probably could have had the first one repaired but with service charges so high I decided to go for a new one and got a great deal. If this one also lasts me 21 years I'll be more than happy! I loved the first one and still love the second one and at the time I wanted a machine that I could just take out of the box and start sewing without thinking about what I should be doing.

There is also the same machine with 24 stitches available from J Lewis either in a store or online. https://www.johnlewis.com/janome-excel-decor-5024-sewing-machine/p231340607.

It has a much better spec than the 725s that was used on the Sewing Bee a while ago. This year's looks different to me??
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 21:12:41 PM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 22:22:34 PM »
I've been a fan of Pfaff for years but in the past have had two good Janomes.  What about the HD range of Janome.  Plenty of stitches for your average sewer, solid construction of machine  (that's what the HD stands for) and an automatic buttonhole.  Bit over budget but at the moment only £339.

https://www.sewingmachines.co.uk/browse-machines/sewing-machines/hd2200/

Bit like throwing a stone in the water asking the forum which machine, the ripples will spread out, we all have our favourite brand that another won't touch.

Good luck with the hunting.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included