The Sewing Place

Fast delivery quilting fabric?

Acorn

Fast delivery quilting fabric?
« on: May 28, 2020, 10:46:28 AM »
Does anyone know which quilt fabric suppliers (with wide backing fabric) are delivering quickly?  I would normally go to Doughty's, but theya re taking up to a fortnight at the moment - they are really busy, I know.  Other orders I've placed recently have also taken quite a bit longer, but I do know that some places are still up to speed - I just don't know which ones!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

Re: Fast delivery quilting fabric?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 10:54:10 AM »
Pelenna Patchworks are very quick and reliable but I don't know if they do what you want as I use duvets / sheets for backing
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 10:59:07 AM »
Thanks - I'll go and have a look.  It doesn't need to be extra wide - the quilt is going to be under 55in square - but that means quartering the backing for normal 44/45in quilt fabric.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 11:00:00 AM »
I think we have to expect delays these days - Doughtys say their online is up 500% !!!...

Midsomer Quilting are usually very good,

try Paulines Patchworks for extra-wides

(Its where I found the backing for the 100 shades)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

LeilaMay

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 11:23:52 AM »
I ordered from Midsomer Quilting on Sunday morning - their package - batting and fabric - came just now - Thursday morning, by first class post  :)

StitchinTime

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 11:30:14 AM »
Would you have enough of an existing fabric if you used the diagonal piecing technique?
https://fabricandflowers.co.uk/tutorial-piecing-a-diagonal-quilt-back/

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 11:45:34 AM »
That's a brilliant technique @StitchinTime - the fabric I was initially intending to use would be big enough for that, but I'm not entirely happy with it colour-wise, so I think I'll get something else.

Midsomer Quilting have an escellent selection, and the bonus of having the quilting thread I want as well, so they're looking good - thanks for the info @Iminei and @LeilaMay - I knew someone had mentioned ordering from them recently!

Acorn

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 11:57:50 AM »
It was only an extra £2 for next day delivery (and I was 10 minutes before the cut-off time).  It would have been rude not to!   :|  :)

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 12:10:06 PM »
Just for the sake of anyone finding this thread in the future, Dragonfly Quilting have a fantastic variety of extra wide backing fabrics.  Unfortunately at the moment (due to covid-19) they're only dispatching once a week, and they didn't say which day!