The Sewing Place

Anyone know of a good compact sewing machine? hines are there!

Vivine

I've got a Juki Dx3 but find it a bit bulky for moving around. It can stay in one place but wondering if anyone can recommend or have any ideas on a good quality, more compact machine that's transportable (around the house).
I've got health problems so am either upstairs or downstairs but sold my little backup which I had downstairs, and now missing something there, to hand.
Don't really want to go for Juki again just because of the bulkiness of it.  I sew every day, mainly clothing, heirloom work.
Must have a needle threader, good speed & ideally auto thread tension.
Any ideas welcome.
Keep smiling

Gernella

Re: Anyone know of a good compact sewing machine? hines are there!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 10:15:31 AM »
Well your Juki weighs 9.6kg, @Vivine  which is I suppose where you start, with the weight.

On doing a search on SMD on features, the automatic tension requirement reduced the search quite a bit, in fact left the larger machines.  They don't do Bernina machines so I suspect their smallest models which come in a 8KG.  I have the Activa 215, which is no longer sold, and that comes in around 7kg from memory.

https://www.sewingmachines.co.uk/browse-machines/sewing-machines/?integrated_needle_threader=4198&limit=all&tension_type=4222

https://www.bernina.com/en-GB/Machines-GB/Series-Overview/NEW-BERNINA-3-Series/BERNINA-335

You can get the smaller models of Juki  coming in around  6kg, but not sure whether you will get automatic tension, it  doesn't show in the features.

https://www.franknutt.co.uk/juki-hzl-h80?gclid=CjwKCAjw5cL2BRASEiwAENqAPpU-ocvI2LR6acHxqRPEW8hRWyv29U7qsc7-DNYQozwwkYyISyngMRoCX6gQAvD_BwE
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Vivine

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 10:50:15 AM »
Thank you so for that.. I think I was expecting a bit much with the auto tension!
Thank you for taking the time to send the links.  Maybe a smaller Juki would be the way to go.   I love the Bernina 335 but it is my price range.
My gut instinct is to wait a while as there's been such a high demand for sewing machines, but when this virus passes maybe some folks will be selling their machines.
I'll still go through the links and do some homework. Thanks.
Keep smiling

HooliganHeart

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 16:13:11 PM »
An old machine and a straight stitch only machine is probably not on your list, but i would recommend a good old Singer Featherweight for portability. Only about 11lbs(4/5kg)   :thumbsup:

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 16:21:18 PM »
I have a pfaff passport 3.0 for sale at the moment ...

Its small, relatively light (6.7kg) and as for quality Its German Engineering .. so you cant really beat that.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Puzzler

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 09:22:25 AM »
@Vivine I have tried out Imi’s Passport. You get quite a few modern features in this neat, compact machine. IDT to boot. I already have a back-up machine and am waiting to purchase a bells and whistles one whenever machines come back into stock.

Manuela

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 04:17:53 AM »
An old machine and a straight stitch only machine is probably not on your list, but i would recommend a good old Singer Featherweight for portability. Only about 11lbs(4/5kg)   :thumbsup:
Prices for Featherweights are currently skyrocketing though. It would take a lot of luck to get a reasonably priced one in good working condition.

Morgan

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 09:38:11 AM »
Are you looking for new or happy to consider Vintage in good condition.
If Vintage I adore my dinky little Elna Lotus TSP.  It's basic in the sense of straight stitch and zigzag but punches astonishingly  high above its weight.  I've sewn all sorts on it from fine fabrics to heavy dog bed stuff 
Info here.
And photos of what they look like here plus an owner's review
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 09:40:37 AM by Morgan »