The Sewing Place

Bernina Walking Foot

KayK

Bernina Walking Foot
« on: May 29, 2020, 11:29:55 AM »
What a fantastic bit of kit! It was included with the machine, as the individual prices for them eye-watering. (£110) However,  it is a heavy, well engineered foot and hardly makes a sound.  What I really, really like is that fact that it has 3 soles, including a 'stitch in the ditch' or 'edge' foot.  The piece of metal that makes it ride along the ditch is pretty solid, and has a hefty spring at the side of it which keeps it firmly in place, and it just doesn't move out of the ditch.  The comparison with that which came with the hated Juki is beyond belief. The Juki foot is still £50 tho!  The Bernina foot is more than twice the price, but is certainly more than twice the quality!.  Even the little screwdriver used to change the soles is excellent!

It has fast become my favourite foot!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

twopence

Re: Bernina Walking Foot
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 13:32:44 PM »
I agree @KayK  I was showing a quilt at my monthly club and someone asked how I was going to quilt it.  When I said I had done and stitched in the ditch she had to turn it over to see on the back that it had in fact been quilted.

Puzzler

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2020, 13:51:49 PM »
I haven't tried the walking foot for the Juki yet but I have used the edge stitch/stitch in ditch foot and it is rubbish. Does not stay in the ditch.

Kenora

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2020, 14:05:14 PM »
I agree about the quality of the Bernina walking foot being excellent. I've used mine for years, both for quilting and lately for sewing stretch knits - great results always. I also love the fact that it clips on and off as quickly as changing any other foot - none of the faffing about with a screwdriver that you need to do on the other machines. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Stitchalot

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 19:24:44 PM »
If there are any other Bernina lovers out there lusting after new presser feet, Weaver Dee has 20% of everything at the moment  They don’t do absolutely every Bernina foot, but still have a wide selection.

So Chic

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 12:41:41 PM »
@Stitchalot
I wasn't thinking of buying any more feet for my Bernina but you have led me astray and I have just ordered a Jeans foot and Button Sew On foot from Weaver Dee.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Stitchalot

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 12:51:54 PM »
@Stitchalot
I wasn't thinking of buying any more feet for my Bernina but you have led me astray and I have just ordered a Jeans foot and Button Sew On foot from Weaver Dee.

Is that all?  :rolleyes:
Be prepared for a fairly lengthy wait as they seem to be very busy. I have just been notified that an order I placed 10 days ago has just shipped. To be fair they will send things straight away if it’s items you need for sewing for the NHS.

So Chic

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 17:18:11 PM »
@Stitchalot
I’m not worried about a wait as I don’t have an immediate need for them as they are just good additions to my machine. 
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Marniesews

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 00:32:16 AM »
Aw, they appear to be all modern fittings sadly, but I've contacted them...just in case.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.